• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC ‘forced’ star names to set up firms to avoid tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimately HMRC are going to use this as the public case to push through IR35 changes.
    Companies will then have a choice hire more perm if they are disguising employment or pay more money for truly flexible workers via PAYE their will be winners and losers but it will cost engagers more.
    The truly self-employed by PSC's will get swept up and that's what we all ultimately worry about.

Ah well..... Nearly mid-week

Comment

Presenters' stress over BBC 'tax pressure' - BBC News

Presenters' stress over BBC 'tax pressure'

Presenters will now be able to ask for a review of their cases through the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution.
      The process will consider whether it is "appropriate or reasonable" for the BBC to make a contribution towards historic demands for employer's National Insurance.

Comment

If the bill is £400k for one presenter - HMRC will be licking their lips here.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
          How many missiles does that buy?
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
            The presenter will be forced to pay - that is until one kills themselves....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Botched attempt

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              bbc-presenter-tries-to-kill-herself-over-botched-pay-deal

One female radio presenter told the committee she felt forced to set up a PSC in 2011 despite losing out financially as a result. When controversy over the arrangement blew up in 2017, she said she then had to work on three-month contracts with “no sick pay, no holiday, no permanent contract” opposite a better-paid male staff member who enjoyed those benefits.

“I have been paid too little due to the use of incorrect tax codes, been subject to clawback, received no information for months on end as to what I was going to live off,” she said. “My mental health deterioration is absolutely linked to the increased stress of working for the BBC. I have always loved working for the BBC but the way they have behaved has reduced me to more than tears.” She said she had recently attempted to kill herself.
              Last edited by anonymouse; 20 March 2018, 20:51.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                can we vote which one?

There are a few that get on my wick!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Admit it, with a PSC you're just a glorified zero hours contractor disguised employee, which is the way the clients want it so they can pay less tax and avoid employment rules. Government kindly assists them with IR35.

PSC's should be scrapped and let those truly self employed work that way like many tradespeople, responsible for their own taxes and no need for client to even think about it. The contract is named to the individual anyway so no need for pretence. Can then claim expenses and other reasonable things that you incur working freelance.

If you're working like an employee then become an employee, on a short 'fixed' term contract if you don't want to commit to 'a job for life' which doesn't really exist anymore anyway apart from a few public sector places.

The rest that operate more like proper b2b contractors should be able to use a Ltd (non-PSC) like the consultancies, with right of substitution etc as the contract is named to the Ltd not the individual.

Simple, yet I wonder why this hasn't been done. I'm sure it's because the civil servants like creating work to keeo themselves in a job, so the tax rules become ever more complicated, and nothing to do with the powers that be telling government what they want if the MPs are to get a nice little earner in private corporations after leaving parliament.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    can we vote which one?

There are a few that get on my wick!

1. Steve Wright
                    2. Michael McIntyre
                    3. Brendan O'Carroll
                    4. Jeremy Vine (when on the radio)
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      Admit it, with a PSC you're just a glorified zero hours contractor disguised employee, which is the way the clients want it so they can pay less tax and avoid employment rules. Government kindly assists them with IR35.

PSC's should be scrapped and let those truly self employed work that way like many tradespeople, responsible for their own taxes and no need for client to even think about it. The contract is named to the individual anyway so no need for pretence. Can then claim expenses and other reasonable things that you incur working freelance.

If you're working like an employee then become an employee, on a short 'fixed' term contract if you don't want to commit to 'a job for life' which doesn't really exist anymore anyway apart from a few public sector places.

The rest that operate more like proper b2b contractors should be able to use a Ltd (non-PSC) like the consultancies, with right of substitution etc as the contract is named to the Ltd not the individual.

Simple, yet I wonder why this hasn't been done. I'm sure it's because the civil servants like creating work to keeo themselves in a job, so the tax rules become ever more complicated, and nothing to do with the powers that be telling government what they want if the MPs are to get a nice little earner in private corporations after leaving parliament.
                      You can do everything in your list already but you clearly don't understand why people use Limited Companies - which is because Agencies cannot supply self employed people. Agencies can only supply people either on their own payroll or via a 3rd party which is where your limited company comes into play.

And what exactly is a PSC? I don't know anyone with a PSC but I do have a limited company (due partly to me working via an Agency but also to limit my personal liability).

Comment

Working...
                      X