• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your data are belong to us

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Wrong. It seems your assertion is contradictory, how do you think they "target" people? Machine learning / profiling on account data perhaps? The power is user data, you are the product.
    You can have a social media account and not use it.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Wrong. It seems your assertion is contradictory, how do you think they "target" people? Machine learning / profiling on account data perhaps? The power is user data, you are the product.
      No, your data are the products. The consumer is the herd animal that is milked for the product.

We are the gift that keeps on giving...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Does anyone do facebook ads or use any of the analytic/insight stuff? It's an absolute goldmine for an advertiser.
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I got an email from my mother last year asking me whether I would mind cleaning her kitchen floor next time I visited as she had spilled a pot of coffee and can't see well enough to clean it up. Within a couple of days my Facebook page was littered with adverts for domestic cleaning services (which haven't reappeared)

Last summer I arranged, via text, to meet some friends in a London pub that I hadn't previously visited - which was suddenly advertised on Facebook - again hasn't been re-advertised.

Obviously cookies and things are fair game - try researching pensions on your PC and see how Investment companies suddenly springs to life - but email and text should be private. I certainly haven't installed any Facebook apps on the phone (and I use a crackberry so hardly fits the description of a modern smart-phone ) but they're getting the info from somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
            I got an email from my mother last year asking me whether I would mind cleaning her kitchen floor next time I visited as she had spilled a pot of coffee and can't see well enough to clean it up. Within a couple of days my Facebook page was littered with adverts for domestic cleaning services (which haven't reappeared)

Last summer I arranged, via text, to meet some friends in a London pub that I hadn't previously visited - which was suddenly advertised on Facebook - again hasn't been re-advertised.

Obviously cookies and things are fair game - try researching pensions on your PC and see how Investment companies suddenly springs to life - but email and text should be private. I certainly haven't installed any Facebook apps on the phone (and I use a crackberry so hardly fits the description of a modern smart-phone ) but they're getting the info from somewhere.
            Did you use a web based email account? The text stuff sounds scary...
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              Did you use a web based email account? The text stuff sounds scary...
              For a really scary thing - leave your mobile on and unlocked and start talking about a subject

then go to google something about said subject on your phone and see what google suggests as you type.

Then put your phone in a bucket of water, don your tinfoil helmet and go live off the grid!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                You can have a social media account and not use it.
                OK, what's your point? Is all your unused social data falsified, Sue?

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                No, your data are the products. The consumer is the herd animal that is milked for the product.

We are the gift that keeps on giving...
                Nah, you and your data are the product as I said; as soon as someone advertises something to sell to you via your FB data you become the product (advertising is the primary reason behind profiling).
                Last edited by TheGreenBastard; 20 March 2018, 13:17.

Comment

What is scarier you buy something completely off line, only used my credit card to pay and minutes later see adverts for the products you just bought on FB (happened to me a few times now)
                  So my credit card company must provide details to advertising agencies about my purchases, can't draw any other conclusions, once can be coincidence, but three or four times?

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    What is scarier you buy something completely off line, only used my credit card to pay and minutes later see adverts for the products you just bought on FB (happened to me a few times now)
                    So my credit card company must provide details to advertising agencies about my purchases, can't draw any other conclusions, once can be coincidence, but three or four times?
                    You search for black mamba dildos on Google once and get a lifetime of Amazon ads selling the same thing!

Comment

You search for black mamba dildos on Google once and get a lifetime of Amazon ads selling the same thing!
                      that's why I've got an ad-blocker, 6 ads blocked on this page BTW

Comment

Working...
                      X