• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House Buying/Selling Logic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House Buying/Selling Logic

We have our house on the market as part of our divorce and have had an offer made. I have also seen a property I would ideally like to secure as my resulting purchase.

I have previously fallen into the scenario of having to accept a lower %age figure when selling a house, than when buying a new one. For example current property to sell is marketed at say £600,000 and offer price iro £575,000. Resulting purchase price again say £600,000 but offers of around £590,000 only accepted. It seems the same here again now, and so suggests that I am getting a bad deal on both sale and purchase.

So to secure the deal I may have to take the hit in the same way again to secure the sale and the purchase - any sense to this logic or just the way it pans out ? We could hang in to get a better offer, but then how long do you wait, with the risk of losing the resulting property (rhetorical question). I need to justify to be comfortable in my mind that this is a logical move for me.

Did the divorce settlement make any sense? If so you dodged a bullet and should be very happy...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Did the divorce settlement make any sense? If so you dodged a bullet and should be very happy...
      Yep settlement more or less agreed and being formalised.

It is more that it seems I am having to accept less on the selling property and having to pay more on purchase property in terms of %age. I for once would like it to be the other round, but guess in this instance it is worth doing if it gets me to move on quicker post divorce.

Comment

you can get more but you need bigger cojones.

If you can get what you want in a house and get change celebrate! You know there is a shortage right?

We paid an extra few K and thought we got a bargain. Zoopla & the sale next door proved it.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The lesson here is not to get married in the first place.

Brillopad
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            Yep settlement more or less agreed and being formalised.

It is more that it seems I am having to accept less on the selling property and having to pay more on purchase property in terms of %age. I for once would like it to be the other round, but guess in this instance it is worth doing if it gets me to move on quicker post divorce.
            No signed divorce deal and you are buying and selling houses - her lawyer must be licking his lips

Comment

that's impossible to answer it depends how far the asking price is from what somebody would be willing to pay and the seller willing to accept

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                No signed divorce deal and you are buying and selling houses - her lawyer must be licking his lips
                Yes correct. Part of the divorce, though not sure what you mean by 'no signed divorce deal'.
                Even if it wasn't part of the divorce, my point is around selling and purchasing at different % rates of corresponding prices.

Comment

it doesn't matter what the ticket price is, the value is all that counts

what do _you_ value the property at ?

Milan.

Comment

It seems to me that you are overvaluing your property when selling and only getting low ball offers, where the properties you are buying are more realistically priced and getting offers closer to the mark.

Comment

Working...
                    X