• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got a counter offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a counter offer

Hi guys,

I hate it to register in a forum and create a thread straight away. Sorry, I can't think of any exact keywords to search for.
    Maybe one of you guys may can provide me with a 10 second answer.

I want to start as a contractor and I've told my manager today.
    He needs me and made me a counter offer ...

In case, I would create my Limited company and my first client would be my current employer.
    In this situation, I would have a contract which falls under IR35?

Thanks,
    Hannes

Originally posted by Hannes7 View Post
    ...In this situation, I would have a contract which falls under IR35?
    Yes.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hi guys,

I hate it to register in a forum and create a thread straight away. Sorry, I can't think of any exact keywords to search for.
      Maybe one of you guys may can provide me with a 10 second answer.

I want to start as a contractor and I've told my manager today.
      He needs me and made me a counter offer ...

In case, I would create my Limited company and my first client would be my current employer.

Thanks,
      Hannes

What do you think...

Comment

On the asumption that you are doing the same work as current, then yes.

If you aren't doing the same work and you can show that the new role is sufficiently different to be one of self-employment (hint: you probably can't...), then you would be outside IR35.

Why don't you consider taking the money as an employee rather than getting all the taxes and none of the employee benefits?

Comment

I hate it to register in a forum and create a thread straight away. Sorry, I can't think of any exact keywords to search for
          So do we. Think harder.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 26 March 2018, 16:39.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

NotAllThere, SlipTheJab, TonyF ... thanks! I'm a fresh starter and I wasn't sure. That is what IR35 is all about, when I remember correctly. Don't quit and just get "employed" as a Contractor.

northernladuk, there are not stupid questions, just ...

Thanks guys!
            Hannes

Comment

NotAllThere, SlipTheJab, TonyF ... thanks! I'm a fresh starter and I wasn't sure. That is what IR35 is all about, when I remember correctly. Don't quit and just get "employed" as a Contractor.

Thanks guys!
              Hannes
              have a peek on the main site they explain it quite well. So do IPSE & QDOS.

But basically you give up all your employee rights for a few quid more an hour and pay a little less tax when you become a contractor. Then HMRC decided you should pay the same tax without the employee rights and IR35 was born. They pretend you are an employee for tax purposes and try and convince a tax tribunal.

You can escape that by not being a de facto employee (multiple concurrent clients, no MOO etc) but it would be extremely difficult on a "Friday to Monday" scenario which is what HMRC started on.

If they want to keep you then your employer needs to pay you enough that you are able to take the tax & expense implications being caught brings and you are paid enough to replace the employee benefits. start at about twice your hourly wage normally.

should be enough to google on.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Thanks guys!
                Hannes
                They are not stupid questions. They are badly considered and very naïve ones though. How much effort have you put into finding out what "being a contractor" entails in the current market?
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Is this like a McDonald's counter or KFC?
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    Is this like a McDonald's counter or KFC?
                    Ikea?

Comment

Working...
                    X