• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The New Touareg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Of course.
    I don't consider barelling along the autobahn at 120 mph with my family in the idiotic belief that an Audi will save them if something goes wrong is the right thing to do
    Strange that.
    Mostly I cruise at 150kph, just under a ton. Otherwise fuel consumption gets scarily high. Anyway, my tyres are only rated to 160kph for long periods of time.

I have an XC70 with a baby killer D5 engine - very comfortable for long distance. But as the kids leave home, our next car will be something smaller. But probably still a Volvo.

In that case flying and minimising your exposure to the roads would be very wise. 20 times more likely to die? That's a conservative estimate, it's probably much more.
    20 times more likely than a very low probability can still easily still be a very low probability. Plane travel is so safe, driving by car may well be 100x more dangerous, and still be very low probability.

This summer we're taking a walking holiday. That makes plane travel look positively lethal!
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      20 times more likely than a very low probability can still easily still be a very low probability. Plane travel is so safe, driving by car may well be 100x more dangerous, and still be very low probability.

This summer we're taking a walking holiday. That makes plane travel look positively lethal!
      Indeed. But I think my 20 times was quite a big under-estimate. The chances of a car accident can become quite significant the more miles you do.
      And you'll probably find that walking holidays result in more fatalities than flying.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        I was thinking of driving via France to Northern Italy in the summer.
        I'm doing just that journey next month, driving to Liguria for a few days then back via Monaco for the Historic Grand Prix.

What does happen to your car in Italy?
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Indeed. But I think my 20 times was quite a big under-estimate. The chances of a car accident can become quite significant the more miles you do.
          And you'll probably find that walking holidays result in more fatalities than flying.

Sas, be careful getting out of bed tomorrow

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

Milan.
            Good straw man.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Sas, please don't get out of bed tomorrow

Milan.
              FTFY.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Milan.
                SAS and Milan lying in the bed, B, U, M, M, I, N, G.

Don’t leave it in all night, stains it brown and it acts like a cork.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  SAS and Milan lying in the bed, B, U, M, M, I, N, G.

Don’t leave it in all night, stains it brown and it acts like a cork.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Heh. I guess mine is a 4 wheel drive.

Comment

Afternoon All,

as you know the Benes Q7 will be five years old in the coming December and has to be replaced this year to start the new depreciation cycle with a new car

VW have just launched a new Touareg and it will have the 4litre v8 diesel from the SQ7

Milan.
                      And? You expecting a round of applause or something? 'Ooh, look at me. Im chugging my chelsea tractor for another one!' Big deal.

Comment

Working...
                      X