• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vehicle tracker with auto-disablement?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle tracker with auto-disablement?

Hi All,

Does the above exist? For reasons that are myriad and complex*, I now own a 'desirable' old car. Initial thoughts were just get a tracker, but then I thought, why can't the tracking device just disable the vehicle if it goes out of range of (say) a fob that will be with my car keys.

So say some pikey nicks it off my drive intending to strip it down for bits, the device just goes "Can't detect [fob], shut down". Pikey runs away in his dark sportswear.

Anyone know if this has been developed yet?

*Stolen from "The Death of Stalin (2017)"
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    Hi All,

Does the above exist? For reasons that are myriad and complex*, I now own a 'desirable' old car. Initial thoughts were just get a tracker, but then I thought, why can't the tracking device just disable the vehicle if it goes out of range of (say) a fob that will be with my car keys.

So say some pikey nicks it off my drive intending to strip it down for bits, the device just goes "Can't detect [fob], shut down". Pikey runs away in his dark sportswear.

Anyone know if this has been developed yet?

*Stolen from "The Death of Stalin (2017)"
    Connect a cellphone on vibrate to detonate a canister of novichok.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Connect a cellphone on vibrate to detonate a canister of novichok.
      Yes that will give them a mild headache for a few days

Comment

Would welcome any good answers. I'm three sheets to the wind but I can generally be relied upon to spot a gap in the market.

Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
        "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

I have just spent one hell of a lot of money on a fleet of performance cars and naturally looked into this. The legal implications of a car being disabled on a public highway are not great. When I spoke to our insurers, they suggested deleting Keyless go on our vehicles at order as they felt that keyless go put our clients at a higher risk of assault.

Invest in a good GPS/GSM tracker AND place it yourself. Alternativley carry the fuel tank in a backpack.

Comment

Why not just pull the rotor arm etc to immobiliise and stop it being driven in the first place?

ps. This thread is useless without pics.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              Why not just pull the rotor arm etc to immobiliise and stop it being driven in the first place?

ps. This thread is useless without pics.
              I don't think cars have rotor arms these days.

The best immobilisers were on the old Citroën Peugeot cars. You had to insert a pin number to activate the ECU and the fuel pump.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                I don't think cars have rotor arms these days.
                Tha OP said "old car".
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

In which case he needs to buy a fuel cut off solenoid and hide the switch

Comment

If said pikey has hoiked a half brick through your window and grabbed the keys then the immobiliser idea is spoiled.

Comment

Working...
                    X