• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RIP British Engineering: Melrose to take over GKN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP British Engineering: Melrose to take over GKN

Yeah they're really going to ensure GKN survives as one of the last top notch British engineering companies
    Isn't one of Melrose's top bods a protege of Lord Hanson (of asset-stripping Hanson Trust fame)?

Will the last person turn the lights off?
    Dim, that'll be you.
    Last edited by sasguru; 2 April 2018, 11:02.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

I remember back to my days in British Engineering companies, the armies of draftsmen still using paper and machines dating back to the 1930's, I remember stumbling into one machine shop where a couple of hundred guys were filing components by hand, same process they'd had since the 19th century, I'm surprised GKN made it this far.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Does this mean that the last bastion of British Engineering is Dyson ?
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Probably. Gotta give it to him he's a master of marketing since so many people buy his utter crap tat.
        We have a Miele vacuum cleaner that's still going after 10 years with max power (taking it to Brussels :-)), tried a couple of Dysons in that time - they all blew up after 1-2 years.
        All our kitchen appliances have been Miele for a few years now - I've come to the conclusion I can't afford brands like Dyson which you have to replace every 2 years.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Probably. Gotta give it to him he's a master of marketing since so many people buy his utter crap tat.
          We have a Miele vacuum cleaner that's still going after 10 years with max power (taking it to Brussels :-)), tried a couple of Dysons in that time - they all blew up after 1-2 years.
          All our kitchen appliances have been Miele for a few years now - I've come to the conclusion I can't afford brands like Dyson which you have to replace every 2 years.
          I have an AEG cleaner that I expect to last at least 20 years, you don't see Dyson vacuum cleaners any more in Germany for obvious reasons, which is presumably why he's so anti EU, so that he can get some protection to shove his substandard products down the throats of UK consumers,

I'm alright Jack

Comment

I have an AEG cleaner that I expect to last at least 20 years, you don't see Dyson vacuum cleaners any more in Germany for obvious reasons, which is presumably why he's so anti EU, so that he can get some protection to shove his substandard products down the throats of UK consumers,

I was in a couple of Saturns the other week and there were Dyson promo people all over the place. One came up to us and asked if we would like to try it out (I think it was a V8) but upon being told the price was around the €400 mark, we just laughed and walked off. I have an AEG which is around 12 years old and only cost €120 now. Dyson is just overpriced tat for people who think it's cool (although their bog hand dryers are quite effective...not only at drying your hands but spreading germs too....)
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              ... Dyson is just overpriced tat for people who think it's cool (although their bog hand dryers are quite effective...not only at drying your hands but spreading germs too....)

They're just using the same marketing that's worked for Apple and other popular phone brands costing north of £500 for a handset that is only marginally better then the previous generation.

I know, shouldn't laugh at the idiots, there's so many of them.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Nope, Numatic. https://numatic.co.uk/about.aspx

Dyson doesn't manufacture in the UK, just designed here.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Our current rental comes with a brand new Henry.
                  It was used once and put away.
                  Weak and asthmatic, it really is completely useless.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Lets not forget Ebac. I really admire them. Taking a white good, and making it properly in the UK. Thats tough. More than happy to pay a premium for this kind of thing.

https://www.ebac.com/washing-machines/listings

Comment

Working...
                    X