• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why am I not surprised?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why am I not surprised?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...3c9b205778bd77

A dossier seen by The Times reveals a commonly held view that the defence is not entitled to see all the evidence. It discloses the tactics used to stop it being handed over, with officers in at least one force apparently trained in how to avoid making available material that might undermine their case.

The file draws on the reports of 14 focus groups with the police, and others with prosecutors and judges, as well as a survey of prosecutors.

The findings come after this newspaper reported on a series of rape cases that collapsed at the eleventh hour when evidence was passed to defence lawyers. The comments in the dossier include one prosecutor saying: “In even quite serious cases, officers have admitted to deliberately withholding sensitive material from us and they frequently approach us only a week before trial. Officers are reluctant to investigate a defence or take statements that might assist the defence or undermine our case.”
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Why am I not surprised?
    Could it be that you're predisposed to believe anything bad said about the police?

Mind you, what do expect from people who hang around with criminals?

If the police are measured on the number of convictions they get then they'll behave in such a way as to maximise their success rate. Same as if they're measured on the crime rate, they'll discourage people from reporting crime if they can.

I guess the government will have to change the criteria for success.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Could it be that you're predisposed to believe anything bad said about the police?
      Well, personally, I'm not surprised because I lived through it. Police not only refused to disclose all evidence, but denied some of its very existence.

Kept is a free appeal card if the case went South - should have probably pursued it with a complaint afterwards, but after 18 months of having your life/career/freedom held over you it's mentally healthier to just walk away from court and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

If the police are measured on the number of convictions they get then they'll behave in such a way as to maximise their success rate. Same as if they're measured on the crime rate, they'll discourage people from reporting crime if they can.

er no! I have very good relationships with the police.

However after a number of very public trial failures and apparent withholding of evidence it was too deep to not be a policy. This isn't a couple of officers going rogue it is actual policy.

A dossier seen by The Times reveals a commonly held view that the defence is not entitled to see all the evidence. It discloses the tactics used to stop it being handed over, with officers in at least one force apparently trained in how to avoid making available material that might undermine their case.

Comment

There is a lot to be said for Pratchett's idea for a guild of thieves. Let the thieves police themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            There is a lot to be said for Pratchett's idea for a guild of thieves. Let the thieves police themselves.
            do you think that is why the Police are letting the whole of London stab / shoot each other?

Comment

do you think that is why the Police are letting the whole of London stab / shoot each other?
              I'm pretty certain London is following the plans laid out in TP's books. London is turning into the Shades.

The assassins guild is pretty much blaming Russia for a botched job.

That's all the Ankh morpork references I can think of...

Comment

Unfortunately not so. After seeing a neighbour (lady) falsely accused of shoplifting where had the police bothered to let her show the receipt but instead beat her up, my faith in the police was lost.

The receipt was in the box but was held as evidence by the police. At trial the police were asked to open the box, out comes the receipt. The trial was dismissed, the police just walked out of court with no apology
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Why am I not surprised?
                  Botox?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I'm pretty certain London is following the plans laid out in TP's books. London is turning into the Shades.

The assassins guild is pretty much blaming Russia for a botched job.

That's all the Ankh morpork references I can think of...
                    Soon, we'll have one man one vote. Corbyn will be the man... unfortunately, not as competent as the Patrician.

Why am I not surprised that some people couldn't get past the first line before posting a response.

FWIW, I don't trust the average plod either. They're not, as a group, overly bright. ("It was you what dunnit" - Detritus), and I'd certainly advise anyone under caution to refuse to say anything at all without a lawyer present. I'm not surpised by the revelations since, as I mentioned in paragraph 3, if you measure people according to certain criteria, it's not surprising if their behaviour tends to optimise that measure.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X