• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Give the man a medal, don't arrest him...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    Don't know the details as stated above - but the accused is 78 and has two burglars in his house in the middle of the night. Fair play for tackling the intruders half your age if this is the case.
    You'd think. People his age almost certainly had done national service and more than likely has some level of combat experience, so knows probably more about self-defence than the mouth breathers he was facing.

But yes, very well done to him.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
      Hence the quotes, what one judge sees as reasonable may differ from another.
      But it isn't up to a judge. It's up to a CPS lawyer to convince a jury that it was reasonable force. If it even gets that far.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        You'd think. People his age almost certainly had done national service
        Two years younger than my dad. He got his call up papers and the date... and then it was abolished, so he never served.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Two years younger than my dad. He got his call up papers and the date... and then it was abolished, so he never served.
          Good point - call up was 18 and not 16, wasn't it...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yep, at 16 you could volunteer and be a 'boy entrant' (as was my Dad).
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

He stabbed someone. Twice.

I'm sorry but you've got to have a pretty nasty streak in you to do that whatever the circumstances.

Comment

'boy entrant'

Those were more innocent times

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post

I'm sorry but you've got to have a pretty nasty streak in you to do that whatever the circumstances.
                  I'd imagine adrenalin takes over and you do whatever is necessary. If anyone enters my house illegally, I'd like to think they will leave it maimed at best and in a box at worst.

Comment

You're a pensioner, you perceive your life is under threat, in your own home, and stabbing someone twice is unacceptable?

Sarcasm or retarded SJW?

Comment

Or be in fear of your life. Or that of your disabled wife. Or simply in a rage that some dick-brained nonentity thinks it's his right to enter your home, threaten you and remove your possessions.

He was inside his house (unlike Tony Martin), it was a face-to-face fight, he sustained his own admittedly minor injuries. All of which is perfectly within the law.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X