• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Give the man a medal, don't arrest him...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, read the news and I was like wow. This man did what every should do at the moment and certainly deserves a medal...

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Offensive sockie troll.
      FTFY.

@Mods please can we get rid off this thing now?
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        One thing you always notice when abroad is that buildings and homes are substantially better protected. Shutters, bars, heavy locks etc. Half the homes in the UK can be entered in 30 seconds by snapping crappy euro cylinder locks.
        Yes, sadly this is true, been a victim of this, it ain't nice.

Anti snap locks are the way forward.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

He had to be arrested due to the severity of the incident. However, the CPS need to consider the full facts of the case and act in the public interest. I would hope that means there is no prosecution. Giving him a medal as well would be a deserved bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            The arrest will be in order to preserve evidence and allow a thorough investigation. It's right that we investigate and build an independent picture of serious crime, before making any snap judgments on what happened.

If it's as-reported (I.e., burglar bit off more than he could chew) then I have no doubt he'll be released with no further action. Or, maybe, this bloke has just stabbed his drug dealer in a row and has decided that "Burglary gone wrong" sounds like a cracking story!
            there is no power to arrest to "preserve evidence" and the police doing so for that reason is a big abuse of power

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
              He had to be arrested due to the severity of the incident. However, the CPS need to consider the full facts of the case and act in the public interest. I would hope that means there is no prosecution. Giving him a medal as well would be a deserved bonus.
              no he didnt, decent person doing self defence there is no power of arrest except trumped up charges like this from our increasing politically correct police

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                there is no power to arrest to "preserve evidence" and the police doing so for that reason is a big abuse of power
                Over simplified, for sure, but you're wrong:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ode-g-2012.pdf

A lawful arrest requires two elements:
                A person’s involvement or suspected involvement or attempted involvement
                in the commission of a criminal offence;
                AND
                Reasonable grounds for believing that the person’s arrest is necessary.
                Given the dead guy on the floor, I think the first bullet is easily catered for here and I would have hoped be self explanatory.

Pretty sure my quote of "The arrest will be in order to preserve evidence and allow a thorough investigation" is pretty well covered by the below secondary requirements:

to enter and search without a search warrant any premises
                occupied or controlled by the arrested person or where the
                person was when arrested or immediately before arrest
                when considering arrest in connection with any recordable offence
                and it is necessary to secure or preserve evidence of that offence
                by taking fingerprints, footwear impressions or samples from the
                suspect for evidential comparison or matching with other material
                relating to that offence, for example, from the crime scene. See
                when considering arrest in connection with any offence and it is
                necessary to search, examine or photograph the person to obtain
                evidence
                Last edited by vwdan; 5 April 2018, 13:10.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Yep, if these burglars were "persons of colour" (highly unlikely I know), the householder will be going down for ten years!
                  It's white scum who have a tendency to burgle people. Black scum are the ones who have a tendencyto snatch bags and phones on the street.

Incidentally any burglar who realises there are people in the house tends to run away if you shout and scream. They don't want a confrontation as if you are vulnerable they go down for longer, or you may use reasonable force against them and kill them.

And yes I've been burgled. The scum decided to do it a few hours after the pubs/clubs closed so got caught in the garden by a van full of police. Unfortunately for him he didn't realise that burgling a house where the garden and all the neighbouring gardens backed on to a railway line wasn't a good idea...
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    One of them was, apparently. He was the one that left his mate dying in the street...

[EDIT] Actually, it seems he was a white male according to later reports. Still abandoned his mate though
                    Copied from an an Order-Order article comment just now :

Witness statement- "Gordon Williams, 44, said: 'I had just gone to bed and I heard moaning and groaning. At first I thought this man was drunk, but when I looked out of the window I saw a white Vauxhall Astra van pulled up beside him.

'A black man was saying to the guy on the ground, 'Come on, get in the van'. He was trying to drag him but it wasn't working.'

Mr Williams added: 'The black guy then looked up to my window and saw me, so he ran back into the van and drove off. My wife heard the clang of metal on the ground and saw him throw something out of the van's window.

'The man on the ground was white and was bleeding heavily from his chest. The wound was an inch long. I think it was a knife.' "
                    Whether this is genuine I don't know, but on the face of it I see no reason why it can't be.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

So he put his own freedom before the life of his "mate".

Nice.

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X