• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Give the man a medal, don't arrest him...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give the man a medal, don't arrest him...

Here we go again...

Hither Green 'burglar' stabbing: Man, 78, arrested - BBC News

Give the man a medal for removing another thieving scumbag from the street, don't arrest him for murder...

Last edited by Dark Black; 4 April 2018, 13:00.
    Do what thou wilt

It may well turn out that way, but if someone dies as a result of your actions, in most cases plod must arrest you on suspicion.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The arrest will be in order to preserve evidence and allow a thorough investigation. It's right that we investigate and build an independent picture of serious crime, before making any snap judgments on what happened.

If it's as-reported (I.e., burglar bit off more than he could chew) then I have no doubt he'll be released with no further action. Or, maybe, this bloke has just stabbed his drug dealer in a row and has decided that "Burglary gone wrong" sounds like a cracking story!

Comment

Self defence with "reasonable force" then he's fine.

If the victim was at the bottom of the stairs with 50 stab wounds then there may be a case to answer.

No doubt the deceased family will be posting on Facebook, "he wasn't a bad lad really"

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          The arrest will be in order to preserve evidence and allow a thorough investigation. It's right that we investigate and build an independent picture of serious crime, before making any snap judgments on what happened.

If it's as-reported (I.e., burglar bit off more than he could chew) then I have no doubt he'll be released with no further action. Or, maybe, this bloke has just stabbed his drug dealer in a row and has decided that "Burglary gone wrong" sounds like a cracking story!
          That's all very well, but what if this guy wants to travel to the US for example, in the future but then has to put on the visa application that he was once "arrested for murder" ?!

In a situation like this there should be some option to attend a police station for questioning, which is compulsory but will leave his criminal record completely unsullied by the incident if no charges are brought.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            That's all very well, but what if this guy wants to travel to the US for example, in the future but then has to put on the visa application that he was once "arrested for murder" ?!

In a situation like this there should be some option to attend a police station for questioning, which is compulsory but will leave his criminal record completely unsullied by the incident if no charges are brought.
            PACE means you have to be interviewed under caution, so in effect you have to be arrested.
            There are pros and cons, but if you aren't charged and/or don't get a caution then the arrest itself is - or should be - of little consequence.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              PACE means you have to be interviewed under caution, so in effect you have to be arrested.
              There are pros and cons, but if you aren't charged and/or don't get a caution then the arrest itself is - or should be - of little consequence.
              Don't know the details as stated above - but the accused is 78 and has two burglars in his house in the middle of the night. Fair play for tackling the intruders half your age if this is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                Self defence with "reasonable force" then he's fine.
                qh
                I wish that was the case, but you roll the dice.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  I wish that was the case, but you roll the dice.
                  Hence the quotes, what one judge sees as reasonable may differ from another.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Doesn't need to be reasonable force - just not grossly disproportionate.

Comment

Working...
                    X