• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ysgythysgymlngwchgwch Bryggy.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    QED. You English really ought to learn a little more about your country...

Ynys Mon is the original name of Anglesey (another English-enforced name...). AM is "Assmebly Member". Rhun is an old Welsh forename and "ap Iowerth" is "the son of Iowerth" in the same way that MacTavish is the son of Tavish.

Want to try again?
    [/QUOTE]

I doubt Ynys Môn is the original name or even the original proto-Welsh name. It is the modern. Welsh name. We know the Latin name was Mona so we can assume the indigenous name in the first century was similar.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

What's parochial idiot in Welsh?
      In my experience "Twat" would probably cover it. "Twmffat parochial" at a push, but i'd lean towards the former.

Fun fact - Ynys Mon is also known as 'mam cymru', or mother of wales. On account that it looks (ever so slightly) like a head.

Comment

Looks more like a sheep to me.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Looks more like a sheep to me.
          It's not a Rorschach test, you can say it looks like a disembodied woman's head if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            QED. You English really ought to learn a little more about your country...

Ynys Mon is the original name of Anglesey (another English-enforced name...). AM is "Assmebly Member". Rhun is an old Welsh forename and "ap Iowerth" is "the son of Iowerth" in the same way that MacTavish is the son of Tavish.

Want to try again?
            [/QUOTE]

No mate. Welsh has 7 vowels. a,e,i,o,u,w and y. It's different language from English; the letters have different sounds. Just as as in German, "w" is pronounced "vee", or in French "h" isn't even pronounced.
            Thanks for the Welsh lesson chaps, I'm sure it'll be extremely useful, er...never.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

Thanks for the Welsh lesson chaps, I'm sure it'll be extremely useful, er...never.
              Almost certainly true, since most English have only a limited understanding of the meaning of heritage. If you want to waste an hour or two, try to translate "Hwyl" into English...

However, we may have educated one or two to think a little harder before blithely slagging off something they don't understand
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

This is far more entertaining than i had hoped

Comment

Welsh for oven is 'poppy' - and Welsh for microwave oven is 'popty-ping' - classic!

At current clientco lift goes all American - 'Car D', the ones at DVLA Morriston would go all 'Flwr Pedwan' or something which I think was 'Fourteenth Floor'

Comment

Wales is also a unit of measurement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...surement#Wales

Equal to 20,779 km2 (8,023 sq mi), the country of Wales is used in phrases such as "an area the size of Wales" or "twice the area of Wales".[25][26] England is 6.275 times the size of Wales, and Scotland is roughly four times the size of Wales. Ireland is four times larger than Wales, and France is about twenty-five times larger.

In older British and Commonwealth atlases, it was common to show a known area at the same scale, and the usual area to show was either Wales for smaller scales, or Great Britain for larger areas.[citation needed]

The British comedy show The Eleven O'Clock Show parodied the use of this measurement, by introducing a news article about an earthquake in Wales, stating that an area the size of Wales was affected. The Radio 4 programme More or Less introduced the idea of "kilowales" – an area 1,000 times the size of Wales. The Register introduced the nanowales (20.78 m2).[27]

The measurement has been adopted by rainforest conservation charity Size of Wales, aiming to conserve an area of rainforest equating to the area of Wales. On 1 March 2013, the charity announced that they had succeeded[28] in conserving an area of rainforest the size of Wales and will continue to operate to sustain and increase the protected area.[29]

Comment

How about Jac Codi Baw (literally "Jack Lifts Dirt" for a - you guessed it - JCB...
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X