• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

fix term contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fix term contract

Hello!!

I would like to ask a question about FTC.

if they pay me 45000£year for a 6 months fix term contract, what would it be the next I will be getting per month?

On the other hand, do I have benefits for a FTC?

thank you

1. If you use this thing called Google, though you could also use Bing or another search engine, put in terms like "salary calculator UK" and click on a link.

2. Who knows. We don't have access to your contract.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by letor1987 View Post
      Hello!!

if they pay me 45000£year for a 6 months fix term contract, what would it be the next I will be getting per month?

thank you
      As a FTC, usually your benefits would be on par as a permanent employee there (though some may have qualification period for certain benefits)

As for your take home pay, use any PAYE calculator (e.g., listentotaxman.com)

Comment

is it £45k p.a. pro-rated to 6 months.
        Or £45k for 6 months.

Forget the monthly and work that one first as it's a little bit more important.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Hello!!

thank you
          That stinks of pro-rated to me. The net will depend on your tax code, but the gross will be approx £22500 over the 6 months. E.g worse than crap compared to a daily rate outside IR35.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Hello!!

thank you
            I've been briefly FTCer when the great IR35 debacle hit the public sector, everyone here has covered the pay aspect of FTC but I can mention some of the benefits of FTC:
            • You are no longer operating as a business so you can apply for internal job vacancies (You can pretty much cherry pick the best jobs plus HR tend to keep jobs internal unless there is no one interested before it is posted to the general public)
            • Freedom to finally use the staff canteen and gym
            • Paid holiday also flextime if they offer it
            • Staff card discounts on items/food if offered
            • Greater flexibility in acquiring clearance if it is offered plus you can take it out of your FTC job into the contracting world (Anyone chasing SC clearance this is one route to getting it if you are looking)
            • This - Make sure probation period isn't too long

The rates are not brilliant and welcome to getting paid monthly but I found it a pleasant experience overall but as I got better rates as a contractor, I still would recommend you try it once and see how it pans out for you.

Note This is by the way speaking as a former FTCer in a public sector role
            Last edited by BlackCountryContractor; 9 April 2018, 15:40.

Comment

Working...
            X