• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone actually claimed for PPI yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Surprised by some big figures quoted on CUK. Maybe I ought to get round to it, if I can be arsed.
    Not only was PPI a total rip off, but they're also giving back interest and the like. The numbers are real - my Mrs ended up with a "Pull the car over before I tell you" sum of money back. I mean, it was a decent size loan but not a ridiculous one - but the PPI was outrageous.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Not only was PPI a total rip off, but they're also giving back interest and the like. The numbers are real - my Mrs ended up with a "Pull the car over before I tell you" sum of money back. I mean, it was a decent size loan but not a ridiculous one - but the PPI was outrageous.
      Yep.

All PPI charges are being refunded, plus the interest you would have paid on those charges as part of the loan, compounded for the period between when you repaid the loan and made your claim. Some of these would have been from back in the 80's/ 90's when interest rates were well into double figures. In my case around 30 years worth of compound interest.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Yep.

All PPI charges are being refunded, plus the interest you would have paid on those charges as part of the loan, compounded for the period between when you repaid the loan and made your claim. Some of these would have been from back in the 80's/ 90's when interest rates were well into double figures. In my case around 30 years worth of compound interest.
        One expects you'll be getting statutory interest added to the principal at ~8%p.a. rather than anything specific to the particular year in question.

On that basis - you're all better off waiting till next year to bother claiming

Comment

Yeah I was really crap with money when I left uni.

And pretty naive to boot.

Ended up getting about 7k back.

I was such a noob back then.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
            One expects you'll be getting statutory interest added to the principal at ~8%p.a. rather than anything specific to the particular year in question.

On that basis - you're all better off waiting till next year to bother claiming

Have set a snooze reminder to ensure my paperwork arrives with them by 29th August 2019.

Could post it now but use a 2nd class stamp.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

A friend wants to know if you can claim any PPI if you have never taken out a loan of any kind. But have lots of bank accounts etc but never took a loan or mortgage. Seems unfair he is saying that he cannot claim thousands from tax payer funded banks when everyone else has claimed.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                A friend wants to know if you can claim any PPI if you have never taken out a loan of any kind. But have lots of bank accounts etc but never took a loan or mortgage. Seems unfair he is saying that he cannot claim thousands from tax payer funded banks when everyone else has claimed.
                The old man can give him whiplash if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                  5 years ago if you asked me if I had PPI I would have laughed and said NEVER, but I found some old statements in the garage from 1995+ that had ppi on them, now I’ve had over £50K in payouts and still waiting on a Burton’s store card from 1991
                  But the shame of admitting to a Burton store card.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Pretty sure I never had it, but have just filled out forms for Lloyds, Barclays and Halifax.

Pretty sure Mr ms has had it, but he's too lazy to fill out the forms!
                    He has now filled out the form - but only ticked the 'personal loan' box, because he says he definitely never had it on his credit card...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      He has now filled out the form - but only ticked the 'personal loan' box, because he says he definitely never had it on his credit card...
                      I'm thinking of applying to every bank, credit card company and store company, chancing my arm they pay me anything to go away.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X