• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Auto enrolled in pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto enrolled in pension

In IR35 and the umbrella has just auto-enrolled me onto the pension scheme with 1%.
    The last job also got me in their pension scheme and I probably have a few hundred quid in that also.

I'm going to be here for a few months probably, maybe a year. Who knows?

Is it possible to consolidate these pension contributions into one? If I am going to be contracting but through umbrella schemes it doesn't make much sense to have many of these pensions around.

What's the collective wisdom?

Do you like Gladiators?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ask your employers, i.e. the umbrella. Since pensions are pretty much deregulated, there should be no problem transferring one closed fund into another scheme, or even a separate SIPP.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If the fees are similar (I think I read somewhere recently that the government are trying to cap fees for auto enrol schemes to 0.75%) then see it as diversifying risk across pension providers.

Transfer out fees may make it uneconomical to move to one provider.

Hopefully the government will be making it as easy and cheap as possible to manage/re-arrange them in future, as the target audience of low paid workers who don't usually put much away for a pension need to ensure they're not being ripped off more than usual in fees within the pension industry. Otherwise they'll still have a pittance while the pension providers get rich.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          If the fees are similar (I think I read somewhere recently that the government are trying to cap fees for auto enrol schemes to 0.75%) then see it as diversifying risk across pension providers.

Transfer out fees may make it uneconomical to move to one provider.

Hopefully the government will be making it as easy and cheap as possible to manage/re-arrange them in future, as the target audience of low paid workers who don't usually put much away for a pension need to ensure they're not being ripped off more than usual in fees within the pension industry. Otherwise they'll still have a pittance while the pension providers get rich.
          Having a number of very small pension plans doesn't seem worth the diversifying of risk.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Do you like Gladiators?
            Not much.

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Age quod agis View Post
              Not much.
              Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear....

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Having a number of very small pension plans doesn't seem worth the diversifying of risk.
                I advise you to post in the accounting/legal section where you will get more sensible answers. However, the short answer is "yes you can".
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  I advise you to post in the accounting/legal section where you will get more sensible answers. However, the short answer is "yes you can".
                  You mean the poster may get answers like this?

Comment

Not much.

Why?
                    Ahh you prefer bleeding radiators -

Comment

Working...
                    X