• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Majority of voters back tax rises to bolster NHS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sack a few hundred NHS managers and see if anybody notices the difference. And while we're at it, cut their advertising budget. We all know we shouldn't eat sh!t, but why are they spending millions telling us what we already know? As if that's going to change our behaviour. For every thousand the NHS spends, Maccy D's spends about fifty thousand. Net effect, fairly close to f**k all. Pointless waste of public money.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Sack a few hundred NHS managers and see if anybody notices the difference. And while we're at it, cut their advertising budget. We all know we shouldn't eat sh!t, but why are they spending millions telling us what we already know? As if that's going to change our behaviour. For every thousand the NHS spends, Maccy D's spends about fifty thousand. Net effect, fairly close to f**k all. Pointless waste of public money.
      This...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Don't most of them eat better though?

At the weekend one of my relations, who is a senior bod in the NHS, was moaning about the tulip patients eat and the fact they don't know they need to exercise their bodies regularly. Her moans back up studies that show we eat the most processed crap as a nation in Europe.
        A balanced diet is going to help you not getting cancer but it isn't going to take your tumour away once its there. And processed foods is really just code word for 'what poor people eat'. Olive oil, pasta, tomato sauces, tinned fish, cereals, skimmed milks are all processed foods and a life time of eating those types of foods in a balanced diet should work out well for you.

Remember when Usain Bolt consumed 1000 chicken nuggets over 10 days at the Olympics and broke 3 world records? Everyone was screaming about what type of example that set for children as it didn't fit in with their mung bean stew outlook on life. Mental. He broke 3 world records.

Cancer survival rates are tulip in the UK because the NHS is tulip. 62 day target from detection to treatment is hit about 80% of the time and is falling. Add in the 2 weeks it took you to get to see the GP and you are probably already fooked before treatment starts.

Centrally planned state monopolies are crap, all the evidence is in on that and there is not debate on this anymore. The sooner we get shot of the NHS the better.

Comment

And while were on the topic of food advice as someone who deals with all the FCA regulation and the 10 billion subsections and rules on offering financial advice I'm not sure why the nutrition people don't have something similar in place. I'm just dealing with money, they are dealing with people's lives.

You can't go 10 minutes these days without someone advising you to stick a diced cumquat up your dungbox to cure some ailment. This quackery and bad science needs to be addressed.

Comment

My Mother worked in the NHS admin for many years. She worked very hard to improve things but it wasn't easy.

Her take was first sack 50% of the management, overpaid and useless. Secondly, the procurement process needs reform, the NHS pays far more for materials than the private sector.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
              My Mother worked in the NHS admin for many years. She worked very hard to improve things but it wasn't easy.

Her take was first sack 50% of the management, overpaid and useless. Secondly, the procurement process needs reform, the NHS pays far more for materials than the private sector.
              I know many including myself (former NHS IT contractor) who agree with that statement of firing management, the NHS needs a independent equivalent of professional standards (police) to start looking at corruption & misconduct of NHS managers.

As for procurement, well after seeing a line of pharma reps trying to sell overinflated priced drugs while trying to share their "lunch" with certain parties to sweeten the deal (marks and sparks with enough food to feed 5 people), this among other things (Issues involving RiO & bed blocking) meant I decided to head back into the private sector and forsake ever working again for the NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCountryContractor View Post
                As for procurement, well after seeing a line of pharma reps trying to sell overinflated priced drugs while trying to share their "lunch" with certain parties to sweeten the deal (marks and sparks with enough food to feed 5 people), this among other things (Issues involving RiO & bed blocking) meant I decided to head back into the private sector and forsake ever working again for the NHS.

Having worked on the other side of the fence, NHSBSA and NHSSC should be scrapped. It was a "wonderful" idea from a few years ago to take NHS procurement and make it a profit centre. The procurement groups would negotiate with the suppliers, then sell on to the trusts at inflated prices. The suppliers cut their margins (and went in with loss leaders), then NHSSC puts their markup on it, and sells on at higher than the price the trusts would pay if they went direct to the suppliers (and the suppliers made their normal profits).
                To make sure that NHSSC don't make too much money there is a thing called the "Anti-embarrassment cap" which says that if NHSSC makes more profit than a certain level (not a percentage, but an actual figure) then it has to pass some of it on to the NHS. In the first 6 years of existence, the NHSSC never hit that figure, but still managed to make a healthy profit
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Voters are ready by nearly two to one to pay more tax to bolster the NHS. A large face-to-face survey ...
                  Whoa! Stop right there.

A "face to face" survey on a topic like this is completely worthless, because who will reply "No I don't want to pay more tax. I'm happy for pensioners to die on trolleys in corridors, etc, etc" ?

All one can conclude is that voters are happy to _say_ they are willing to pay more tax, but words are cheap!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Whoa! Stop right there.

A "face to face" survey on a topic like this is completely worthless, because who will reply "No I don't want to pay more tax. I'm happy for pensioners to die on trolleys in corridors, etc, etc" ?

All one can conclude is that voters are happy to _say_ they are willing to pay more tax, but words are cheap!
                    No point giving the NHS more mone if you cannot get people to safely leave hospital.
                    Last edited by SueEllen; 13 April 2018, 12:46.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      Name a country that provides better care for the money?
                      And evidence it.
                      I never said a word about other countries.
                      Not sure why you felt the need to be so confrontational.
                      Back at the coal face

Comment

Working...
                      X