• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In the garden

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Just remembered another line of plants I have - a hedge made up of hawthorn and blackthorn. The blackthorn is currently in bloom so hopefully we will have a good crop of sloes again this year.
    I need to get out and shape the hedge, but will wait until summer for that.

do you do sloe gin ?

I forgot to mention the rhubarb which we put in last year will produce this year, yum rhubarb crumble awaits

what about tomatoes, last year we had one tomato plant and it was magical as fast as we harvested tomatoes it grew new ones !!

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      do you do sloe gin ?

I forgot to mention the rhubarb which we put in last year will produce this year, yum rhubarb crumble awaits

what about tomatoes, last year we had one tomato plant and it was magical as fast as we harvested tomatoes it grew new ones !!

Milan.
      Normally do 5-10l of sloe gin every year. Aldi or Lidl gin is best for the base and we like ours sharp, so tend to 1/2 the amount of sugar suggested in most recipes.

Rhubarb mostly ends up in rhubarb & ginger jam or crumbles. I might try a rhubarb gelato this year as well.

We normally have 4-5 tomato plants in the greenhouse and a couple of tumbling ones in a hanging basket. If you get to the end of the season with a lot of unripened tomatoes left on the plants, they make a great chutney.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        the goodstuff lidl apple juice is beautiful

how do you make turbo cider ?

Milan.
        https://www.brewuk.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=20&t=47689
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Depends how much work you want to put in. At a basic level just buy 5l of apple juice (not sugar free), add cider yeast (or champagne yeast) and watch it in a demijohn for a couple of weeks.

A quick google gives this recipe, which is a bit more fancy as it adds a cup of tea for the tannins...
          https://countryskillsblog.com/2012/0...-this-at-home/
          the tea helps.

Its very popular.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I just tidy up the weeds, keep the ones I like, get rid of the rest. At least I've almost managed to eradicate the Giant Hogweed.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
            X