• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

May Has Really Screwed Up...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    When is this emergency debate supposed to be happening?
    You will find everything you need to know here:

https://www.rt.com/uk/424237-theresa-may-debate-syria/

When is the emergency debate in the Duma scheduled, to congratulate the Dear Leader on his statesmanlike leadership and superior wild animal wrestling skills?

Comment

I reckon the Home Office, which is largely staffed by immigrants these days, does this on purpose as a form of passive aggressive resistance to attempts to clamp down on illegal immigration.

Each time a new clampdown is announced, they always contrive to find absurd examples of technically illegal status, such as an Aussie child whose parents were both British and resident in the UK until recently, and then with a big fanfare they take steps to kick this child out of the country.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

WTF was that?

That was the sound of immigration ministers doing a handbrake turn.

Pending...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          I reckon the Home Office, which is largely staffed by immigrants these days, does this on purpose as a form of passive aggressive resistance to attempts to clamp down on illegal immigration.
          Where did you find the relevant figures for Home Office staffing?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            WTF was that?

That was the sound of immigration ministers doing a handbrake turn.

Pending...
            The same advisor who was around advising May when she was Home Secretary was there when she decided to call a GE - Nick Timothy

He has since written this on twitter linky:
            .@TomTugendhat spot on about Windrush kids. The solution lies in formalising their status, not abandoning sensible policies to limit illegal immigration. But this is urgent: they’re Brits who have done nothing wrong, yet they’re being treated terribly.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Goes back to the old British Subject status, anyone from the Commonwealth could settle anywhere else therein. All that changed in the 1971 act and we took control of our borders....

Now we’re doing it again...
              No. It was a one-way street to the UK. Brits could not work or settle in the Commonwealth.

This is the daft argument about Brexit. The EU is two way for workers but Brexiters want one way from the old Empire, nothing about Brits rights abroad.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                They are in a different position to you.

A lot of them were subjects of British colonies that were part of the Empire when they came so are considered British. They therefore didn't have to apply for British citizenship as they already have it.

This is where May has screwed up - she is trying to retrospectively change the law on people's citizenship. I think the Commonwealth countries should simply refuse to accept the people back stating they aren't citizens of their country.
                According to the 1948 Citizenship Act, anyone from the colonies was a British Citizen. The Act was subsequently revoked in 1983, but anyone who arrived prior to 1983 should be able to assert their right to be considered British. This is a clustershag by the Home Office, and we haven't seen one of those for some weeks, which by their usual standards is quite good.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  No. It was a one-way street to the UK. Brits could not work or settle in the Commonwealth.

This is the daft argument about Brexit. The EU is two way for workers but Brexiters want one way from the old Empire, nothing about Brits rights abroad.
                  Only if you speak the local language. Easy for Europeans who speak English, try filling out the German paperwork if you aren't a German-speaking lawyer. I posted about this about a decade ago. This 2-way street thing is basically a 1-way street.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    Only if you speak the local language. Easy for Europeans who speak English, try filling out the German paperwork if you aren't a German-speaking lawyer. I posted about this about a decade ago. This 2-way street thing is basically a 1-way street.
                    Those of us who are moderately multi-lingual, and can order beers in plenty of other languages, are quite happy with our two-way street I've never had a problem across Europe when trying to adapt. I did a 6 month contract in The Hague and Amsterdam and the leeway I got in adapting my Rosetta Stone Dutch to business Dutch was fantastic. The primary thing from their view was that I was trying rather than being an English bloke thinking all I had to do was speak English louder to get understood.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      Who needs a lawyer, I didn't and it seems like the other thousands of people from across the world getting German citizenship don't either.
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X