• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

May Has Really Screwed Up...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May Has Really Screwed Up...

She can't just stop screwing up...

linky
    More than 140 MPs from all parties have signed a letter to Theresa May, expressing concern about the many Commonwealth-born, long-term British residents who have been incorrectly identified as illegal immigrants and calling on her to find a “swift resolution of this growing crisis”.
    linky
    A growing number of people who were born in the Caribbean and came to the UK as children during the 1950s and 60s have been experiencing severe problems with their immigration status because they have never formally naturalised or applied for a British passport. They are the children of the Windrush generation, who were invited to move to the UK by the British government to help with postwar rebuilding. All are here legally, but with the introduction of tighter immigration rules, they are being asked to prove their status, despite having lived in the UK for about 50 years. For some, the consequences have been catastrophic.
    • May was Home Secretary when these policies were brought in and she should have been aware of the status of Commonwealth citizens. Many have no papers as they have never gone abroad since they have come here.
    • She has had to be embarrassed by the media including the Daily Mail into meeting the Commonwealth heads of State.
    • She has managed to get David Lammy and Jacob Rees-Mogg on the same side
    • Her treatment of these people will have implications for the treatment of EU citizens in the B-word
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Yeah I saw this as well - they were being asked originally to produce 4 pieces of evidence per YEAR of residence. Quite a bit of evidence if you've been here 20 years +

Some were also detained when they contacted the HO for more information. Totally shocking.

Comment

To be fair it was completely moronic not to apply for British citizenship as soon as one clearly qualified, I think it was veyr easy (at least in the past) for those who lived lawfully over 10 years.

On the other hand Home Office even more moronic and that cost me my car

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        To be fair it was completely moronic not to apply for British citizenship as soon as one clearly qualified, I think it was veyr easy (at least in the past) for those who lived lawfully over 10 years.

Goes back to the old British Subject status, anyone from the Commonwealth could settle anywhere else therein. All that changed in the 1971 act and we took control of our borders....

Now we’re doing it again...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

They are in a different position to you.

A lot of them were subjects of British colonies that were part of the Empire when they came so are considered British. They therefore didn't have to apply for British citizenship as they already have it.

This is where May has screwed up - she is trying to retrospectively change the law on people's citizenship. I think the Commonwealth countries should simply refuse to accept the people back stating they aren't citizens of their country.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            She can't just stop screwing up...
            Heads of government are allocated to countries by the Illuminati, according to what each country deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Heads of government are allocated to countries by the Illuminati, according to what each country deserves.
              Is that why we have Korbyn?

As we need someone more incompetent than our PM to be in opposition?

Comment

Ah bless - good old West where somebody without official. documents is deemed to exist and have all rights...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Is that why we have Korbyn?

As we need someone more incompetent than our PM to be in opposition?
                  Exactamundo.

Next set, lined up for the next deterioration in UK competence, are Rees-Mogg and Abbott.

Comment

When is this emergency debate supposed to be happening?
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X