• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MySQL or PostgreSQL for high-volume high-performance database?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think this is, an IT forum?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      What do you think this is, an IT forum?
      Should be in Technical to be fair... but then again I never check that section.

Comment

If you should settle on MySQL, use MariaDB instead. It's free of Oracle's control, completely compatible with MySQL, and under rather more active development by all accounts.

It's an open source project created by a bunch of the original MySQL developers who jumped ship when Oracle took over in 2010. More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MariaDB

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          If you should settle on MySQL, use MariaDB instead. It's free of Oracle's control, completely compatible with MySQL, and under rather more active development by all accounts.

It's an open source project created by a bunch of the original MySQL developers who jumped ship when Oracle took over in 2010. More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MariaDB
          WNFS...

The last couple of years I was performance testing both this and Postgres for high volumes of data and each has their strengths and weaknesses. I can't tell you which one is better as it depends upon the workload and I doubt very much you would be using the same hardware as I was but there are plenty of presentations on the web of the work I performed
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Many thanks for all the replies, and I have been following this thread although it may not have seemed like it.

To those who asked for more details on the intended use, I was asking more for a general feel for how the two compared these days, and didn't have a specific database structure in mind.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Edge your bets by using an instance of both. Can then see which works best for you when it's all designed and up and running, and in the meantime you have a failover redundant hot backup which can be kept in sync, so if one goes up in smoke you have another already available.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

MySQL 8 apparently introduces a lot of new features: https://mysqlserverteam.com/whats-ne...lly-available/

Comment

Or you could learn summink new. I hear good things about NoSQL

Comment

I haven't done much backend work in recent years (mostly mobile) but PostgreSQL is my goto choice (except for tiny projects where I might even use sqlite). I can't remember the last time I used MySQL. Possibly before Oracle bought it.

Comment

If you talking high volume high performance in the context of a financial app handling millions of transactions, MySQL and PostGre do not come any close to Apache Cassandra. In fact even Oracle and MSSQL struggle to cope.
                      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                      X