• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 4x4 debate.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 4x4 debate.

As this has been going on for a while in General....

The country's safest car has been revealed as a Volvo model that has seen no drivers or passengers killed inside it in the 16 years it has been on sale.

And about an hour ago the Porsche offices were raided because of emissions tampering.

Is the reason for no deaths in Volvos because their engines drop out when being driven above 10mph?
    Or is it because people who drive Volvos tend to be obsessively cautious (apart from the old T5/850R)
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Takes nothing into account the profiles of the drivers: generally over 55's, never drive over the speed limit, 'upper' middle class background, would stop and help a midget get stuff off the top shelf in supermarket types.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
        Takes nothing into account the profiles of the drivers: generally over 55's, never drive over the speed limit, 'upper' middle class background, would stop and help a midget get stuff off the top shelf in supermarket types.
        Apart from the over 55s what is the issue here?

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
          Misses has a volvo and it has loads of safety gadgets, which can be annoying. But there have been a handful of occasions when it's helped stop an accident. Simple things like reversing out of a spot and a driver behind you is also doing the same, you get a warning. Or reversing and someone drives behind you, you get a warning.

The best one for me is when you are on the motorway and you indicate and move into a different lane, you get a warning if a car is close by. It's actually trained me to always use my indicators because yep, you get a warning if you don't.

The misses has done a few long drives and she has heeded the advice of the car that's detected her driving is erratic and warned her to take a break. She said it's also auto braked a couple of times for her, but it's never done that to me. I didn't even know we had that feature.

Less useful is the warning about pedestrians crossing, it gets confused with people on the pavement. Though, I do think that a warning like "Allah says bad" might be useful for some people wanting to drive on pavements.

Oh and the Volvo is pretty good to drive, that's coming from a man that drives a Porsche (I like to mention that as much as possible).

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            ... Simple things like reversing out of a spot and a driver behind you is also doing the same, you get a warning. Or reversing and someone drives behind you, you get a warning.

The best one for me is when you are on the motorway and you indicate and move into a different lane, you get a warning if a car is close by. It's actually trained me to always use my indicators because yep, you get a warning if you don't.

The misses has done a few long drives and she has heeded the advice of the car that's detected her driving is erratic and warned her to take a break. She said it's also auto braked a couple of times for her, but it's never done that to me. I didn't even know we had that feature..
            I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee as my hire car once - it had all those safety features. Most high end cars do. One of my colleague has a Porsche that lets him know if he's not following the curve of the road. He said it did mean he avoided a dangerous situation once.

I drive a volvo because it's big enough to take my skis and handles well enough on snow and ice. Still under 55, tho' I do occasionally help midgets.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Misses has a volvo and it has loads of safety gadgets, which can be annoying. But there have been a handful of occasions when it's helped stop an accident. Simple things like reversing out of a spot and a driver behind you is also doing the same, you get a warning. Or reversing and someone drives behind you, you get a warning.

The misses has done a few long drives and she has heeded the advice of the car that's detected her driving is erratic and warned her to take a break. She said it's also auto braked a couple of times for her, but it's never done that to me. I didn't even know we had that feature.

Less useful is the warning about pedestrians crossing, it gets confused with people on the pavement. Though, I do think that a warning like "Allah says bad" might be useful for some people wanting to drive on pavements.

Oh and the Volvo is pretty good to drive, that's coming from a man that drives a Porsche (I like to mention that as much as possible).
              They are. I have a fleet of silly cars now, but my daily driver is an MB W205 with the puny 1.6L Renault Engine. It has all the gadgets you mention and it is a relaxing drive to Dusseldorf at sensible speeds. If I am in a rush however and someone is paying for the fuel.......

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee as my hire car once - it had all those safety features. Most high end cars do. One of my colleague has a Porsche that lets him know if he's not following the curve of the road. He said it did mean he avoided a dangerous situation once.

I drive a volvo because it's big enough to take my skis and handles well enough on snow and ice. Still under 55, tho' I do occasionally help midgets.
                I had a Grand Cherokee as a hire car in the US, it didn't have the same level of safety features (had bloody everything else, including a bum cooler). I wonder if Volvo make these features standard and have been doing it longer. Hence, the safety record.

Comment

I had a Grand Cherokee as a hire car in the US, it didn't have the same level of safety features (had bloody everything else, including a bum cooler). I wonder if Volvo make these features standard and have been doing it longer. Hence, the safety record.
                  Volvo invented the seatbelt, and licensed the patent for free.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                    Apart from the over 55s what is the issue here?
                    Did I say there was an 'issue'?

Well goodness me, who never knew Volvos have loads of safety features? Fact is, Volvo make up a small percentage of cars on the (UK) roads. Volvo drivers are conservative (with a small 'c') by nature. Ergo, they have less chance of being involved in accidents hence less injuries and deaths.

The other 'problem' with Volvo is they have a small dealer network which is reflected in their sales and again, number of cars on the road.

Yes, if you're going to be in a crash, be in a Volvo (or even Saab before they went pop). Best bet, dont drive like a tool, dont think you're your own traffic police and dont go getting into confrontational situations on the roads. But I love watching everyone else make a tool of themselves in those YT car crash vids.

Comment

Working...
                    X