• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plastic Waste environmental emergency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    On a side note When I was a kid it was all about the CO2 causing a hole in the ozone layer - but I never hear about that anymore. I assume that was all solved.
    It's amazing how bad science confuses things.

When you were a kid, all aerosols and fridges were full of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). These were phased out after the Montreal Protocol in the late 80s, and since about the mid 90s, no CFCs have been manufactured.
    Since then the ozone layer has recovered to a degree.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      It's amazing how bad science confuses things.

When you were a kid, all aerosols and fridges were full of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). These were phased out after the Montreal Protocol in the late 80s, and since about the mid 90s, no CFCs have been manufactured.
      Since then the ozone layer has recovered to a degree.
      Thanks - that saved me looking it up. Job Done.

Comment

CFCs were replaced with hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), which are a bit less nasty. These, too, are due to be phased out in the next 5 years.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The speed at which it's gained mass-awareness is certainly very sudden but people having been talking about it for ages as a Big Problem. Sometimes there's just a tipping point.

If you stop to think about just how much plastic never even gets the chance to be recycled it's pretty mind-blowing. The scale of the planet makes "obvious" answers whether it's actually bad hard to verify but just walking anywhere it's depressing on a small scale how much crap there is.

Maybe the surprise is how long this wasn't a big deal.

I'm still amazed at the lack of progress into proper biodegradable plastics. How hard can it be
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
            On a side note When I was a kid it was all about the CO2 causing a hole in the ozone layer - but I never hear about that anymore. I assume that was all solved.
            It wasn't that's total BS or an other indicator about the extremely bad British education system
            It was about CFCs which are now banned and the hole has started to shrink in recent years

Comment

Working...
            X