• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plastic Waste environmental emergency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic Waste environmental emergency

As you all are the fountain of all knowledge and I don't trust what I google - is plastic waste suddenly an environmental emergency?

Plastic straw and cotton bud ban proposed - BBC News

Do I have to give up Cotton Buds?

Or cant we improve landfill sites?

On a side note When I was a kid it was all about the CO2 causing a hole in the ozone layer - but I never hear about that anymore. I assume that was all solved.

Cotton wool buds can be brought with the stem made some sort of paper substance and you can get paper straws.

I'm sure that:
    1. In the past I have had cotton wool buds where the middle was some sort of paper or card, and,
    2. I definitely use to be given paper straws as a kid for a couple of years.

I think they were scrapped as plastic is cheaper.

(A quick Google reveals you can get both. Sainsburys sells the cotton wool buds. )
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It has become an emergency because China is not taking our crap anymore.

We're doomed.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

is plastic waste suddenly an environmental emergency?
        Nope. It has been for years - just because you weren't paying attention doesn't mean it's only just happened.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
          As you all are the fountain of all knowledge and I don't trust what I google - is plastic waste suddenly an environmental emergency?
          It's TM's latest virtue signal as part of her doomed local election campaign. Maybe she could publish her share portfolio to show us all just how much the cares about the environment.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Relax, nature finds a way.

Recycling hope for plastic-hungry enzyme - BBC News

Scientists have improved a naturally occurring enzyme which can digest some of our most commonly polluting plastics.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post

Plastic straw and cotton bud ban proposed - BBC News

Do I have to give up Cotton Buds? ..
              No, they can easily be made of cardboard, and that would be far safer anyway.

What always baffles me is why someone can't develop a biodegradable plastic, or at least a simple way to render plastic waste biodegradable, even if the plastic is not before it is disposed of.

Even a strong UV source would weaken most forms of plastic and start breaking it down, I would have thought.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                See second post in thread - they already do that and have done for decades. However plastic clearly is cheaper.

What always baffles me is why someone can't develop a biodegradable plastic, or at least a simple way to render plastic waste biodegradable, even if the plastic is not before it is disposed of.

Even a strong UV source would weaken most forms of plastic and start breaking it down, I would have thought.
                See post above yours
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Isn't hemp a biodegradable alternative?
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                    Isn't hemp a biodegradable alternative?
                    And cornstarch "plastic".
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X