• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory DOOM™: Property

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we need 250,000 homes built every year to accomodate the new bodies appearing. We are lucky if we build 100,000 no chance of any real drop unless we have a decent recession.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      we need 250,000 homes built every year to accomodate the new bodies appearing. We are lucky if we build 100,000 no chance of any real drop unless we have a decent recession.
      Or a nuclear war - similar effect...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        If you think Estate Agents will suffer, you're living in some sort of parallel universe.
        Estate agents shops are closing down as more people are looking online.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Estate agents shops are closing down as more people are looking online.
          Yep, online alternatives (PurpleBricks etc) for sales, and OpenRent for private landlords to DIY the letting process.

It's been a long time coming.

The plan to reduce letting fees will also have an impact as that is one area they've been able to raise income when the sales side is in a lull, though I expect the cost will be passed on to the tenant one way or another just hopefully not to the same level of cost. Last time I rented somewhere (close to a client to avoid b&b/hotels week in week out) the letting agent tried to defend the extortionate fees (over £200) by saying she was only leasing a BMW and not a Range Rover like some of her peers.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            House prices appear to be driven up by investment demand, not excessive 'real' demand for housing. Have a look at:

If it was 'real' demand, it would look more like th Dublin figures:
            e

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              Yep, online alternatives (PurpleBricks etc) for sales, and OpenRent for private landlords to DIY the letting process.

It's been a long time coming.

The plan to reduce letting fees will also have an impact as that is one area they've been able to raise income when the sales side is in a lull, though I expect the cost will be passed on to the tenant one way or another just hopefully not to the same level of cost. Last time I rented somewhere (close to a client to avoid b&b/hotels week in week out) the letting agent tried to defend the extortionate fees (over £200) by saying she was only leasing a BMW and not a Range Rover like some of her peers.
              When she is leasing a Corsa she will have something to complain about.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Or a nuclear war - similar effect...
                Not really. If there was a major nuclear war, it would affect temperate latitudes on the whole far more than tropical areas, so literally hundreds of millions of immigrants would soon start pouring into Europe and the UK from Africa.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Not really. If there was a major nuclear war, it would affect temperate latitudes on the whole far more than tropical areas, so literally hundreds of millions of immigrants would soon start pouring into Europe and the UK from Africa.
                  At least they could benefit from the Brexit dividend.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    When she is leasing a Corsa she will have something to complain about.
                    That was my point, using the freaky eyes, which I tend to relate to 'WTF is this person on'.

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    House prices appear to be driven up by investment demand, not excessive 'real' demand for housing. ...
                    It's a vicious cycle of cheap credit allowing people to enter the house prices always rising race (they wouldn't be able to afford an average house price on an average wage if interest rates were nearer to historical average of 5%) causing the government to bail out the banks (funding for lending at lower rates than they pay traditional savers) and builders (Help to Buy gives builders a nice 20% bonus on new build prices) so it all doesn't come crashing down.

No more boom and bust. It's magic, helped by foreign investment (driving London prices, many places not even rented out) and devaluation of sterling (making assets appear to be worth more when really it's your wage that's worth less), and 'emergency' BOE interest rates to keep it from crashing. They're doing a fine job.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      House prices appear to be driven up by investment demand, not excessive 'real' demand for housing.
                      It's really quite straightforward. As is the unwinding:

https://www.ft.com/content/8e131f28-...a-295c97e6fd0b

Not a subscriber: "Payback time for QE looms — and it will be expensive."

The unwinding may happen slowly, but markets tend to bring forward their reaction.

Comment

Working...
                      X