• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TSB meltdown...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    This isn’t (just) the PM, it’s those who probably bought into the agile/DevOps/cloud ideas without truly understanding the idea of quality to the the left.

The Devs who love the idea of CI/CD without the microservice architecture to go with it (you can only do fix forward if you’ve changed a tiny part of the code), and think that discipline to test properly stops them from deploying quickly are probably more responsible.

And the management who are too weak to control the Devs.

Feckwits, like I said.
    I'm suffering an agile project at the moment. Bugs don't matter as long as user stories are closed. And don't design or discuss anything at length as it slows down the sprint velocity. Cluster **** in the making...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      I'm suffering an agile project at the moment. Bugs don't matter as long as user stories are closed. And don't design or discuss anything at length as it slows down the sprint velocity. Cluster **** in the making...
      But how is the project feeling about you?

Comment

You work with complete and utter feckwits.

If I worked with an agile team and management thought that, I would walk out.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Describes the state of much the UK IT industry
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Sure, but as Project Manager, what are you going to do about it`
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Just a quick question...

Quick piece of background info...

I worked on the bank Lloyds TSB IT systems in 1997/1998 based in their Wythenshawe offices - Unisys/PONTIS systems with PC hardware(Slowly) being introduced. The members of the department I worked in were very capable, knowledgeable and keen.

A piece of background history(apologies if I appear to be teaching you to suck eggs), although TSB were late comers to the UK banking industry(hence why most TSB branches were situated away from the centre of most towns), they were the first UK bank to provide online transaction processing - meaning you could deposit cash in one branch and your account was immediately updated so that your balance could be drawn upon at any other TSB branch. A major feat at the time!

The code for the original mainframe system was so tightly coupled to the hardware and so complicated that come the time that the hardware was in need of upgrade, rather than rewrite the systems to match the hardware, an emulator was provided to run the original code!

Anyway, I digress.

About 3 years ago I was approached by an agency asking if I wanted to go back to Lloyds TSB. At first I was very keen. Until I found that I would be working under a project run by "Tech Mahindra"!

Why have you lot not asked about the impact of outsourcing in this debacle?
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I don't get it - are you saying there wasn't an offshore consultancy involved here? No Tatty, no Infosh|t?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Sure, but as Project Manager, what are you going to do about it`
                  Raise a risk of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    About 3 years ago I was approached by an agency asking if I wanted to go back to Lloyds TSB. At first I was very keen. Until I found that I would be working under a project run by "Tech Mahindra"!

Why have you lot not asked about the impact of outsourcing in this debacle?
                    Because I don't know if the work was outsourced. Speculation usually leads to the usual debate about Indian companies being crap, then someone else will pipe in that we have enough crap developers in the UK etc, thread spirals.

Also, there is a good chance at some point you will be accused of racism and for voting for trump. Then Brexit will be brought into the conversation and before you know it Hitler is on the agenda and his secret base on the dark side of the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      Because I don't know if the work was outsourced. Speculation usually leads to the usual debate about Indian companies being crap, then someone else will pipe in that we have enough crap developers in the UK etc, thread spirals.

Also, there is a good chance at some point you will be accused of racism and for voting for trump. Then Brexit will be brought into the conversation and before you know it Hitler is on the agenda and his secret base on the dark side of the moon.
                      ISWYDT!

<Cough>
                      https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...f_in_ibm_deal/
                      </Cough>
                      Some of the comments are interesting...

Zigenare in "Hindsight is 20/20 vision" mode!
                      Last edited by Zigenare; 27 April 2018, 09:00.
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X