• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TSB meltdown...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Because I don't know if the work was outsourced. Speculation usually leads to the usual debate about Indian companies being crap, then someone else will pipe in that we have enough crap developers in the UK etc, thread spirals.
    I'll give you great odds that it was. Let's face it this will be a combination of:

- Management enforcing a deadline when the work clearly wasn't done.
    - Developing with an "Agile" approach in spite of the fixed deadline.
    - Most of the work being outsourced to low skilled, but CHEAP, devs.
    - Poor or absent testing against real-world scenarios.

Honestly, some of the complaints I've seen are so basic it's amazing they could get it wrong - one customer couldn't reset their password because the error message said it was both too short AND too long!

And how anything got through testing where you could end up viewing someone else's account details is a joke. The FCA is going to have a field day with that one. (Yes I contract for a financial institution (NOT TSB) and they get fined for even the slightest data breach).

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Why have you lot not asked about the impact of outsourcing in this debacle?
      Perhaps its all part of the India World Domination programme to undermine competitors IT systems or probably just another case of incompetent management. Certainly the management of any business that outsources needs to be got rid of as its the first admission that they're incapable or why else would they need another organisation to do their job for them?

Comment

When I was last at Lloyds (ok, it was a few years ago now), but onshore Business Testing was being increasingly marginalised.

I'd assume that TSB were basically following Lloyds models in their methodology, so it's no surprise to see a major **** up like this. Hell mend 'em.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I've given them basically a week to get it together and it seems like things are getting worse, no payments possible etc via business banking, service status page looks awful.

Time to move my business account elsewhere

Comment

The code for the original mainframe system was so tightly coupled to the hardware and so complicated that come the time that the hardware was in need of upgrade, rather than rewrite the systems to match the hardware, an emulator was provided to run the original code!
            Hmm, I recall doing something in this area for Lloyds not long ago but I don't think this is a part of the problem
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

TSB boss Paul Pester says bank is on its knees over IT chaos - BBC News

he has said its the "service provider" at fault... so outsourced to somebody

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post

Signed off to go live by exec with 96 critical bugs no doubt.

It's just tulip management.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post

Avanade has been mentioned on El Reg!
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I was guessing Diligenta

Having worked in Lloyds IT (only for a few days) a few years ago, and noticing that most of the building were Indian nationals (or ex Indian nationals), I expected quality like this

I know some of the big pension provider mergers and acquisition IT stuff has been similarly poor, but its much easier to hide whats going on from the public

Comment

Have you got a link on el reg?

I worked at Avanade for many years and I really doubt they have the scale to manage this kind of project. Also, they are purely MS stack solution providers, so probably not them.
                      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                      X