• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amber Rudd Is a liar -

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I just say how much I'm enjoying this whole business.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Which is kind of inline with the what a lot of citizens of this country asked for?

A better immigration policy which ensures we get the right kind of people coming into the country?

Limited barriers to deporting people who are here illegally?

Not so much 'hostile' as 'common sense'.
      I don't think this is true. The Tories whipped up immigration by making pointless promises they couldn't keep and then keeping the issue of foreigners and immigration in general fresh so they could exploit it and temp the Ukippers back.

I never asked for this. Did you ?

Comment

I think the point is everyone is running around trying to blame everyone else.

The reality is it seems

1) The deletion/destruction of these papers was initially taken to comply with the DPA.
        Absolute bollocks - some of these people are dead and died before 2010 so there is no Data Protection issues. Their descendants may need the cards to prove that their father, mother or grandfather entered the UK and were settled before 1973. The elderly people who were children and entered then won't have a Data Protection issue with the British government keeping a record of them.

Added to that the National Archives has a copy of some of the passenger lists from 1960 and before, so if it was a Data Protection issue why are the National Archives allowed to keep a copy of such lists? Another issue is The Home Office destroyed a bit of British history which some museums/organisations would have been happy to archive.

2) These papers would have had very little impact - although not non zero.
        If you are someone whose relation landed then or came as young child, and haven't got a British passport then the impact thanks to the passing of the 2014 Immigration Act is large.

3) Due to the fact it is going to affect some people who have a legitimate right to stay in the UK everyone is running around trying to blame everyone else.

Why not put the effort into solving the problem rather than pointing the finger?
        Luckily we have another Pakistani bus driver's son to sort out the mess then
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          You know if someone wrote all this as a script for a political satire TV series before 2010, no TV production company would make this as they would say it was too far fetch.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            You know if someone wrote all this as a script for a political satire TV series before 2010, no TV production company would make this as they would say it was too far fetch.
            I can just see the Malcolm Tuckers exploding all over the place
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Which is kind of inline with the what a lot of citizens of this country asked for?

A better immigration policy which ensures we get the right kind of people coming into the country?

Limited barriers to deporting people who are here illegally?

Not so much 'hostile' as 'common sense'.
              The problem is that it was/is not a better immigration policy and it's everything else but common sense.

Demanding 4 pieces of evidence for every year spanning decades from every individual, when there should be centrally available records like tax returns and NI for the majority of them proving they were resident in the UK is not common sense.

Threatening ppl with forced deportation because in the past 40 years they lived in the UK for 39 with 1 year break in the middle for whatever reason is not common sense, even if they resided illegally for these 39 years.

Retroactively applying rules to change someones immigration status from legal to illegal, while doing next to nothing to limit the new arrivals is not common sense.

Then let me ask you, what do you consider the "right kind of people" that need to be the only ones permitted in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                The problem being Theresa May's hostile environment policy and her government's desire to deport people.
                Hush now. Stop mentioning the pesky facts that oPM pointed us towards.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  Me too. I feel sullied now.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Me too. I feel sullied now.
                    Given that the 260 odd 'claimants' have produced a media campaign that rivals a royal wedding you'd think that sorting out the other 300000 that are here illegally might produce a similar outrage.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                      Given that the 260 odd 'claimants' have produced a media campaign that rivals a royal wedding you'd think that sorting out the other 300000 that are here illegally might produce a similar outrage.
                      Ah yeah we best not do it then

Comment

Working...
                      X