• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a house and putting an offer in today.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a house and putting an offer in today.

At last I've found a house that I like in the country and near a pub.

I'm putting in an offer today, 20k under the asking price and wanting a few things added to it.

Any advice or tips with negotiating or buying a new house?

1. Find out how many others are interested in it/have had viewings/put in offers
    2. Let them know your position - have you a chain? What is your timing? Can you be flexible on dates?
    3. Don't start negotiating things you want/don't want until the vendor comes back rejecting your first offer.

Last house I bought, I went in at £40k below the asking price, pointing out I had no chain and was happy to move when the vendor was ready to. The agent told me straight away that it would be rejected. I told them to put the offer on the table anyway, so that the vendor knew I was wanting to start negotiating.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

ask if they accept bitcoin
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

I'm putting in an offer today, 20k under the asking price and wanting a few things added to it.

If you are not embarrassed by an offer, it is too high. Was buying a house a few years ago and was about to put an offer in 20k under. Then went for 30k under and it was accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

how much is the house?

Personally, I'd put in a low offer as long as its not a piss take (i.e.house aint £50K I presume!). Someone else will be cheeky enough to do it.

(Ever sold anything on gumtree - can guarantee whatever it is some chancer will offer you about 1/4 of whatever you've advertised something before because "they've got cash waiting")
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            If you are not embarrassed by an offer, it is too high. Was buying a house a few years ago and was about to put an offer in 20k under. Then went for 30k under and it was accepted.
            Well I put the offer in at 30k under asking, builders are working on it now so have asked for a few changes included in that price. Getting back to us tomorrow.

As you said, they can only say no. Though, my Dad sold a house and was offended by a low-ball offer. He actually said to them he had second thoughts and put the price up. Got the asking in the end. But he has a way with money.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              how much is the house?

Personally, I'd put in a low offer as long as its not a piss take (i.e.house aint £50K I presume!). Someone else will be cheeky enough to do it.

(Ever sold anything on gumtree - can guarantee whatever it is some chancer will offer you about 1/4 of whatever you've advertised something before because "they've got cash waiting")
              I'm not going to give the house price away but it's more than I imagined spending on a house. But had to raise the budget to get what I wanted.

Comment

Horse's head worked for me

HTH

MF

Comment

Out of interest, roughly where is it?

One trick that just occurred to me is to ask a couple of friends who don't live near you to put piss-take low offers in for the place, and then maybe your low bid won't look so bad by comparison
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Out of interest, roughly where is it?

One trick that just occurred to me is to ask a couple of friends who don't live near you to put piss-take low offers in for the place, and then maybe your low bid won't look so bad by comparison
                    Unfortunately, that suggestion is rather underhand and not my cup of tea. Also, i don't have a couple of friends!

Comment

Working...
                    X