• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chucked in a £420 a day Contract for 60k perm job. Am I mad??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    ^ This.

You only quit contracting when:
    a. You've made enough to retire and hang up the keyboard
    or
    b. You're now so tulip the only place for you is as a permie scrum master or manager
    Or if you're ... ahem... both

I've tried quite hard to get the client to end my contract but they just won't let me retire in my early 40s.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
      If it's as good as it sounds.. No.

Decent enough salary, factor in all the benefits and the fact that you've worked with the people before and know they are decent. Go for it.

If it does turn out to be not as good as you expect you can always jump back to contracting later on.
      Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RStrongbolt View Post
        Hi all,

First time contracting, new this site so I'm sure this subject has been beaten to death, but I'd like some of your thoughts. I’m not sure If I’ve made the right call and slightly regretting it!

so currently on £420 day (9 to 6pm) working for an asset manager working on BAU production of Fund Reports/Fund Factsheets and migrating the production to a new provider (which is doing all the heavy lifting btw). Been doing this role for about 6 months and in all honesty, I'd probably get another year or more out of it, However not really enjoying the culture, people and I'm sitting here not doing much most days. I'm pulling in a great pay packet, which I never dreamt of earning.

So then I've just gone and jacked it in for a perm role for another Asset manager, much the same stuff, but with people I’ve worked with before and enjoy, but now slightly regretting it as I feel like I’m throwing away an opportunity to make some real money for a year or so. Spec of perm role below.

• 60k basic
        • 10.5% pension
        • 18/20% Bonus
        • 25 days holidays
        • £300 a month share scheme if I pay in £150
        • Usual Medical and Dental
        • Free canteen, apparently v good food. (Breakfast and Lunch provided)
        • work from home one day a week when it’s not Quarter end
        • 9 to 5pm

Am I mad? Finically would I have been that much better off in the contract?
        Are you mad? Nope. The contract market is not good even if you are in a contract right now and HMRC will make yur life hell not being PAYE.

Comment

I went from £640 per day in 2000 to $50K + BUPA + Fully expensed car (Volvo 940).

It was ok. I picked up a lot of experience, so now I charge £1500 per day.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I went from £640 per day in 2000 to $50K + BUPA + Fully expensed car (Volvo 940).

So 10 baked potatoes with cheese and beans a day.

Before tax.

Comment

Didn't realise CUK paid their mods so much. I suppose they have to, seeing as you have so much work to do removing the boatloads of drivel that gets posted here daily

Comment

Wow, that's a lot of punters.

What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

So just started new role and been sold a dud!! Nothing like what I was told. Been stitched right up!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Wow, that's a lot of punters.

Bloody hell, when was that taken?

Not wishing to be unkind but you've put on a tulip load of weight since then!
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by RStrongbolt View Post
                      So just started new role and been sold a dud!! Nothing like what I was told. Been stitched right up!!
                      Oooh do tell!

Comment

Working...
                      X