• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chucked in a £420 a day Contract for 60k perm job. Am I mad??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RStrongbolt View Post
    So just started new role and been sold a dud!! Nothing like what I was told. Been stitched right up!!
    Can you steal any clients for contract work?

Comment

So just started new role and been sold a dud!! Nothing like what I was told. Been stitched right up!!
      Start applying immediately for contracts as long as you are still in your probation period which usually means a notice of 1 or 2 weeks , which is ideal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Seriously though, an outside IR35 contract at £420 per day will take home nearly 2x that permie job. Can't see on any level that it's a smart move unless you really don't care about money, in which case why be an IT contractor in the first place?
        If you're in it.

If work/life balance is key then it's a bit different.
        The share scheme and pension scheme look bloody good, as well as the free food (c. £200-250 per month after tax). It soon all adds up.

The contract market is not great at the moment and it's better to secure something before Brexit panics/excuses hit and rounds of redundancies start up with the contractors going first.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If your skills are in demand and your in an area with a lot of job opportunities - I would say yes you are mad.

You'll be getting around double after taxes in the contract job. The benefits I guess do look good on the new role, but I don't know. I am currently on a £450 rate and for me to switch to perm, I think I'd want £80k+ on the perm salary at least personally (in London the demand is high for my role).

People will talk about job security but to be honest, even in a perm job you can be made redundant.
          Last edited by 1manshow; 7 June 2018, 10:56.

Comment

Originally posted by 1manshow View Post
            If your skills are in demand and your in an area with a lot of job opportunities - I would say yes you are mad.

You'll be getting around double after taxes in the contract job. The benefits I guess do look good on the new role, but I don't know. I am currently on a £450 rate and for me to switch to perm, I think I'd want £80k+ on the perm salary at least personally (in London the demand is high for my role).

People will talk about job security but to be honest, even in a perm job you can be made redundant.
            The perm demand is high ?

Comment

Dish the dirt. Or let me guess - they've honoured the pay and pension stuff, but apart form that:
              • Your boss is an unsupportive tyrant
              • You're working out of a portakabin
              • You have no budget
              • Those nice colleagues you worked with before are in a different department. You've got all the misogynists, liars, back-stabbers, alcoholics and gossips.
              • The objectives are hopeless. You're working 40 hours a week just to produce progress reports on why the project is running late.
              • You have daily 1:1 sessions with your manager on why the project is so far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Can you steal any clients for contract work?
                I like the thought of that
                I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                  The perm demand is high ?
                  Both contract and perm.

Comment

Working...
                  X