• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Houses with an annex - Multiple Dwellings Relief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houses with an annex - Multiple Dwellings Relief

Just found out I can get a load of stamp duty back on the place I bought last year because it has an annex. Knew nothing about this relief until recently and certainly knew nothing about it at purchase. Anyone have any experience of this? I've asked an accountant to do the work for me but I'd imagine its not too difficult to make the claim yourself.

Do you pay council tax on the annex?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Did you pay the 3% surcharge on the annex?

Anyway, this might help: https://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/bu...digq80pu6Vi.97

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        Did you pay the 3% surcharge on the annex?

Anyway, this might help: https://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/bu...digq80pu6Vi.97
        I had to pay the surcharge anyway because I didn't sell my other house. Paid the surcharge on the whole value of the new place I bought which amounted to a lot of stamp duty! Thanks for the link.

Comment

We've got an annex. As long as the annex value is less than 1/3 of the house value it's normal stamp duty for purchasers.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Do you pay council tax on the annex?
            Nope. Even if it was payable, I don't think I'd need to pay any as the place is vacant.

Comment

Working...
            X