• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

on boarding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Last week I was told the role was mine. Its taken till today to get me the offer and now the start date is 6th June at the earliest. There is some system that reed have that is used to do the background checks and it's currently taking 4 whole weeks. There was a time when contractors were needed for urgent roles. Now we have a role I applied for on the 13th of April with an earliest start date of 6th June! 7.5 weeks!!
    This problem is just getting worse everywhere. When I started freelancing in the early '90s you did the interview on Thursday afternoon, got a call from the agent on the Friday and started on Monday. The agent met you for lunch with the contract.

No wonder the UK productivity graph is going south.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
      This problem is just getting worse everywhere. When I started freelancing in the early '90s you did the interview on Thursday afternoon, got a call from the agent on the Friday and started on Monday. The agent met you for lunch with the contract.

Is Uk productivity going south?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        Is Uk productivity going south?

Correction: flatlined.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post

Totally agree. Everything is done at the pace of the slowest of all lame snails. They ask for a million forms to be signed and scanned and emailed back. They wanted full details of every contract I've had over the past 5 years with contact names, addresses, phone numbers and emails. All of this the recommend is done in the first 24 hours, but then take a month to work through it.

Somewhere somebody will be saying how they have improved the process by outsourcing the reference checking but the guy who wanted me to start wanted somebody when we did the interview (26th april). Because of the delays they have caused to themselves, I won't be starting until the 6th June at the earliest. So they get no resource for ages and I get no money in the meantime.

If this is the new norm, it means if you get a 3 month gig, you should start the search for your next role as soon as the ink has dried on the contract you've just signed. One of my mates said his role at RBS took 13 weeks from the point of seeing the contract advertised to the point where his ar5e touched their seat!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Im at HSBC now as well!
            Where are you Stek ?

Comment

Just landed a role with HSBC and been told that the on boarding will take 4 weeks. Is that normal. I've worked for a few banks but never had one tell me that it's going to mean I have to earn sod all for a 12th of the year before I can get on site. TBH the guy touched on it in the interview but he said it like it could be up to 4 weeks. What it actually is, is 4 weeks and possibly longer!
              Wait until you find out about the 8 weeks furlough.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                Just make sure your annual vacation/plan B coincides with the furlough.

Gratis.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Just landed a role with HSBC and been told that the on boarding will take 4 weeks. Is that normal. I've worked for a few banks but never had one tell me that it's going to mean I have to earn sod all for a 12th of the year before I can get on site. TBH the guy touched on it in the interview but he said it like it could be up to 4 weeks. What it actually is, is 4 weeks and possibly longer!
                  Tell 'em to feck off, Steve.

Comment

One of the things that drives me mad about present day onboarding is the sheer volume of information that they want that gets duplicated (triplicated for my last role). e.g. they want details of every conract I performed in the last 5 years and I had to fill in 3 subtley different forms all wanting variations on the same thing.

Can't there just be a standard industry template for this kind of stuff??

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                      It was only 4 weeks, the entire December.
                      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                      X