Failed IT systems Failed IT systems
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 21

Godlike

PurpleGorilla - scorchio!

Default Failed IT systems

Seems to be consistent failure and inadequacy of IT systems (mainly government programs - health, immigration, borders etc).

With all due respect - WTF does this keep happening?

Are IT guys incapable of delivering systems that work?

Best wishes, PG

My post count is Majestic

MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Seems to be consistent failure and inadequacy of IT systems (mainly government programs - health, immigration, borders etc).

Best wishes, PG
    I've just seen a £50m project canned today. Seems to be adding permies, contractors, consultants together to do all the work and making a 3rd party culpable is a recipe for disaster.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Richer than sasguru

DimPrawn is a fount of knowledge

Suity has the answer.
    Three-and-a-half years, two extensions, seven defections, 21 deselections, three prime ministers, countless amendments, two prorogations, one Supreme Court judgement, 66 million Brits losing the will to live and were still at square one...

Fingers like lightning

TwoWolves is NOT a disguised employee

I've just been warned of no more renewals on this gig. The project was actually going well and I had high-hopes of delivery in about six months.

Some ex-Goldman's management cretin has arrived and is outsourcing everyone to Serbia.

Most problems come from:

Poor specification or design.
    Poor technical skills (looking for the cheapest/outsourcing).
    Management infighting.

Another thing. In large companies, if a project is going well you always have ambitious managers who want to muscle in to get the glory, but these snakes never seem to be able to deliver and start by ejecting the key delivery staff.

Postscript: Most success stories I have seen have been 100% contractor.

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Failure mode analysis, reliability analysis, Markov analysis, if you don't perform these basic activities the cost of failure will remain random. Government projects seem to be happy with that, tax payer always is ready to pick up the bill. Germany is awful in that regard with public projects.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

Godlike

BR14 is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    Failure mode analysis, reliability analysis, Markov analysis, if you don't perform these basic activities the cost of failure will remain random. Government projects seem to be happy with that, tax payer always is ready to pick up the bill. Germany is awful in that regard with public projects.
    careful, - the Bundesnachrichtendienst could be monitoring your posts
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    careful, - the Bundesnachrichtendienst could be monitoring your posts
    Ich denke nicht
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

Should post faster

glebe digital is too good to be a permie

Only one that seems to be 'relatively' ok is HMRC......no surprise there.

Local Dr's surgery I.T always on the blink, wife works there & every day re-directing people to different clinics for their appointments. Local NHS I.T staff say it's the SW contract Co's fault, the SW Co say it's the local I.T.....I suspect the SW Co 'firefighters' don't really understand the SW (probably built by small team of contractors, since gone) and the local NHS I.T staff are certainly underskilled.....minimum wage tech jobs and barely skilled to do more than Install Windows or a new printer.....both of which tasks seem to go wrong too....absolute shambles.

Better stay healthy for time being, and make sure I have enough dough to go private.

I live on CUK

Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by glebe digital View Post
    Only one that seems to be 'relatively' ok is HMRC......no surprise there.

Local Dr's surgery I.T always on the blink, wife works there & every day re-directing people to different clinics for their appointments. Local NHS I.T staff say it's the SW contract Co's fault, the SW Co say it's the local I.T.....I suspect the SW Co 'firefighters' don't really understand the SW (probably built by small team of contractors, since gone) and the local NHS I.T staff are certainly underskilled.....minimum wage tech jobs and barely skilled to do more than Install Windows or a new printer.....both of which tasks seem to go wrong too....absolute shambles.

Better stay healthy for time being, and make sure I have enough dough to go private.
    GP systems are normally pretty reasonable (EMIS and In Practice), and the NHS doesn't have too much to do with them. It funds them and accredits them, but the GP practices essentially own the relationship with the vendor. IIRC the exception is TPP, which is a GP / community shared system, which the NHS has its fingers all over and it has a pretty bad reputation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Contractor Among Contractors

tomtomagain 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

Best wishes, PG
    Not at all. The majority of projects don't fail* .... although a significant minority don't deliver the full intended benefits.

You hear about Government failures because they have to be transparent. At least to some degree.

I know of several £50m+ failures in the private sector ( no, I wasn't on them ) ... but they would never make the news because no one is interested and the companies involved certainly are not interested in sharing their mess-ups in public.

IT failures are rarely due to the technology anyway ( Although the TSB debacle might be ). A lot of the difficulties are in the organisations (in)ability to change. I'm sure we've all been in those situations where it appears that although Project X is apparently a priority large sections of the organisation seem to be actively fighting against it.

In short. Change is hard. And IT projects are all about making changes.

* Failure: Just remember:

Most advertising campaigns don't work.
    Most books aren't worth reading and don't make any money.
    Most songs aren't worth listening too and don't make any money.
    Most films aren't worth seeing and don't make any money.
    Most restaurants close within 12 months and don't make any money.
    Most great new products disappear without a trace and don't make any money.
    Most buildings are designed but never built.
    Most government policies don't do what they were supposed to.
    Most wars are not "over by Christmas"
    Most economists don't predict bubbles.
    Most art is tulip.

IT projects fail. But then every human activity has a high rate of failure.