• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good news day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news day

Black men arrested at Philadelphia Starbucks settle for $200K program | Daily Mail Online

Black men arrested at Starbucks settle with Philadelphia for a symbolic $1 each and the promise of a $200,000 program for young entrepreneurs - and both get an undisclosed sum from the coffee chain
    Donte Robinson and Rashon Nelson reached a settlement with Philadelphia for $1 each and a promise from officials they will create a $200,000 youth program
    The grant will be for young entrepreneurs who attend the city's public schools
    The two men also reached an undisclosed financial settlement with Starbucks
    Nelson and Robinson were arrested in April after the manger of a Rittenhouse Starbucks called police because they did not buy anything and would not leave
    Congratulations gentlemen!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Hopefully Starbucks had to PAY!!
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

'I want to thank Donte and Rashon for their willingness to reconcile,' Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson said. 'I welcome the opportunity to begin a relationship with them to share learnings and experiences. And Starbucks will continue to take actions that stem from this incident to repair and reaffirm our values and vision for the kind of company we want to be.'

What a crock of tulip - he means not a single word of that, fookin lying wankshaft

Comment

My understanding is that the two lads were taking up table space in a branch of Starbucks, had not ordered anything. They were asked to leave, they refused and the Philly PD was summoned.

To me this raises a couple of questions, the answers to which change the complexion of this case somewhat.

1) The two lads hadn't ordered anything. Ok, but was there intention to order something? Perhaps they were waiting for friends to join them. In this case, the actions of Starbucks and the Philly PD are inexcusable.

2) Does Starbucks have a policy, informal or otherwise, of allowing members of the public remaining on their premises without having purchased anything? Unlikely but it's possible particularly on a quiet day to give the impression of a brisk trade to passing potential punters. If so, one cam extrapolate that had they been white, they would have been granted remain to leave. Again, the actions of Starbucks and the Philly PD are inexcusable.

There is, of course, another take on this in which I find myself having to play devil's advocate here, even though I commend the altruism of the two lads. What if neither 1) nor 2) are answerable in the affirmative? What if you were running a café and two individuals were taking up table space without any intention of ordering anything? You'd want them to leave. And if they did not leave you would call the police and you would expect them to be forceably removed.

Again, it would be good to see the full facts in the reporting of this story. That said, I read the Daily Mail version

Comment

They'll be kicking themselves that they put the two sums in the wrong boxes.

Comment

On a similar topic, and similarly heartwarming, we have a young lad on our team who hails from Gambia.

Far from being a product of privilege, he was raised in a mudhut in a remote village far from the coastal tourist destinations.

Academically, though, he stood head and shoulders above his peers and he was known by the other children in the village as Bukoo which means "the book" in his native Mankinka language.

Recognising his talent, the village elders raised the funds to send him to the west to get an education and he's been beating an upward trajectory ever since.

I have to say, it's good to see.

Comment

Originally posted by The Castle Cary Fairy View Post
              My understanding is that the two lads were taking up table space in a branch of Starbucks, had not ordered anything. They were asked to leave, they refused and the Philly PD was summoned.

To me this raises a couple of questions, the answers to which change the complexion of this case somewhat.

1) The two lads hadn't ordered anything. Ok, but was there intention to order something? Perhaps they were waiting for friends to join them. In this case, the actions of Starbucks and the Philly PD are inexcusable.

2) Does Starbucks have a policy, informal or otherwise, of allowing members of the public remaining on their premises without having purchased anything? Unlikely but it's possible particularly on a quiet day to give the impression of a brisk trade to passing potential punters. If so, one cam extrapolate that had they been white, they would have been granted remain to leave. Again, the actions of Starbucks and the Philly PD are inexcusable.

There is, of course, another take on this in which I find myself having to play devil's advocate here, even though I commend the altruism of the two lads. What if neither 1) nor 2) are answerable in the affirmative? What if you were running a café and two individuals were taking up table space without any intention of ordering anything? You'd want them to leave. And if they did not leave you would call the police and you would expect them to be forceably removed.

Again, it would be good to see the full facts in the reporting of this story. That said, I read the Daily Mail version
              Full facts will never come out. That’s why it was ‘settled’. That means we’ll only ever be able to speculate on the facts of the case.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
              X