• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AAAAAAAAAAAgh life without internet!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some idot backed into the telegraph pole over the road and I've had no proper internet for days.Won't be sorted until Friday at least. Finally, after a lot of messing about, managed to get a faint BT openzone signal using an ancient XP laptop on the bedroom windowsill.

Don't do Facebook, Twitter etc. but it's made me realise just how much I depend on the net for looking up misc. things, checking the news etc. If N Korea ever knocks out all our utilties with an EMP nuke I think suicides will soar! (Or is it EMAP? connection too crap to dare to check, aaaagh!)

PS Yes it was lady driver. Sexist, xoggoth!
    Last edited by xoggoth; 7 May 2018, 21:05.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

So I'm guessing no 4G coverage? If there is then you use your phone as a WiFi hotspot. If you have a 4g SIM. And an account. And a Smartphone...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Always been a desktoppy person, so got only got a cheap old, not smart, Tesco phone. Made me realise I need a backup. Probably get one of those Three plug in things tomorrow.

At least did have an old mobile phone, lost it today! No landline and then I go and lose my mobile! The Great God Sod!
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Some idot backed into the telegraph pole over the road and I've had no proper internet for days.Won't be sorted until Friday at least. Finally, after a lot of messing about, managed to get a faint BT openzone signal using an ancient XP laptop on the bedroom windowsill.

Don't do Facebook, Twitter etc. but it's made me realise just how much I depend on the net for looking up misc. things, checking the news etc. If N Korea ever knocks out all our utilties with an EMP nuke I think suicides will soar! (Or is it EMAP? connection too crap to dare to check, aaaagh!)

BT openzone signal is best using a 5ghz channel. You can buy a 5ghz USB adaptor with an antenna for about £5 on eBay.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Always been a desktoppy person, so got only got a cheap old, not smart, Tesco phone. Made me realise I need a backup. Probably get one of those Three plug in things tomorrow.

At least did have an old mobile phone, lost it today! No landline and then I go and lose my mobile! The Great God Sod!
          The difference between BCP and DR...

Get a smartphone rather than a single-use dongle.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Welcome back to 1979 Xog (I suspect you were happier back then anyway...)
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I was!!!
              bloggoth

Comment

Ahhhh….the good ol' days....

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  So I'm guessing no 4G coverage? If there is then you use your phone as a WiFi hotspot. If you have a 4g SIM. And an account. And a Smartphone...
                  4G?

I've got to stand on the garden wall when it's raining just to get 2G.

When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                  X