• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snowflake tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    And the student debt they come out with now, compared to your loan? How much were your university tuition fees and loan?
    Tuition was free as it was back then.

I did get a grant - £4 quid a year it worked out at.

So yeah I had loans but possibly not as many as other people.

But do you know something else about when I was young? University was for people who were actually intelligent and wanted to do something decent.

Nowadays the snowflakes who were lied to by Blairs labour about how everyone should go to university feel that they must go to uni - and the parents feel they must push Tarquin to go to university because Women Studies with Media is really allowing him to get in touch with his feminine side and explore gender fluidity.

The fact that when Tarquin finishes his 3 years and has 50 grands worth of debt and a degree which entitles him to flip burgers for a living is probably lost on them right now and maybe, just fookin maybe, if they had 2 brain cells to rub together they may have made different choices.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Tuition was free as it was back then.

I did get a grant - £4 quid a year it worked out at.

So yeah I had loans but possibly not as many as other people.

But do you know something else about when I was young? University was for people who were actually intelligent and wanted to do something decent.

Nowadays the snowflakes who were lied to by Blairs labour about how everyone should go to university feel that they must go to uni - and the parents feel they must push Tarquin to go to university because Women Studies with Media is really allowing him to get in touch with his feminine side and explore gender fluidity.

The fact that when Tarquin finishes his 3 years and has 50 grands worth of debt and a degree which entitles him to flip burgers for a living is probably lost on them right now and maybe, just fookin maybe, if they had 2 brain cells to rub together they may have made different choices.
      It may sound astounding to you, but people going to university this year were 7 years old when Bliar stopped being PM. Much as I hate Bliar, you can't blame him for kids going to uni today.
      Also, it wasn't Bliar who increased the cap to £9k in 2010, nor was he involved in removing the ability for students to apply for grants in 2016.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        It may sound astounding to you, but people going to university this year were 7 years old when Bliar stopped being PM. Much as I hate Bliar, you can't blame him for kids going to uni today.
        Also, it wasn't Bliar who increased the cap to £9k in 2010, nor was he involved in removing the ability for students to apply for grants in 2016.
        Don't be daft, we've got at least another 10 years of blaming Labour for everything, upto and including a global financial crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Don't be daft, we've got at least another 10 years of blaming Labour for everything, upto and including a global financial crisis.
          I'm not sure some on here have forgiven Ramsay MacDonald for the letter from Grigory Zinoviev. Sure, it was a forgery, but it helped bring down the Labour government after the Daily Mail ran it. Ramsay should never have received the letter, even though it didn't exist and WWII is basically all his fault.
          ...oh, no, maybe we shouldn't talk about the DM and WWII...
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

https://www.adamsmith.org/blog/could...ttle-bit-maybe note the date stamp.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
              15GBP a week as a young man one generation ago had a hell of a lot more purchasing power than it does now. Did you have student loans per chance or were you also not part of that generation?
              Jeez, you guys really need to learn some history... And perspective

Didn't do university, out of choice, did an HNC relevant to my job instead. £15 a week gross is £12.50 or so after tax, rent was £7 of that, so £4.50 (about £55 in today's money) to cover food for three, stuff for the kid that was necessary, power and transport to work. And no social support at all of any kind other than the social services lady checking on No 1 daughter.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Jeez, you guys really need to learn some history... And perspective

Didn't do university, out of choice, did an HNC relevant to my job instead. £15 a week gross is £12.50 or so after tax, rent was £7 of that, so £4.50 (about £55 in today's money) to cover food for three, stuff for the kid that was necessary, power and transport to work. And no social support at all of any kind other than the social services lady checking on No 1 daughter.
                The problem when you start saying I had £x left over in 1993 is that you aren't really comparing like with like as some things are much cheaper now e.g. clothes, small electrical goods while other things are much more expensive e.g. housing, childcare.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  The problem when you start saying I had £x left over in 1993 is that you aren't really comparing like with like as some things are much cheaper now e.g. clothes, small electrical goods while other things are much more expensive e.g. housing, childcare.
                  Also, life is just different now. Potential employers will expect you to have easy access to a mobile phone, internet, a car etc. If you do not then plenty of other candidates will - even if they cannot really afford it.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I reckon the yoof have something to complain about, especially if they live in the SE.
                    Basically, unless they inherit a large sum of money or become millionaires, which only a tiny fraction of the population will ever do, no amount of hard work is going to enable them to buy a property.
                    That's intrinsically unfair compared to previous generations.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      As an older generation, do I give a tulip? Well no, not really. I started on £15 a week with no housing and a pregnant girlfriend. After 40+ years of work and paying not inconsiderable amounts of tax, I feel I have earned my retirement, which is 90% funded by my money anyway.

As for the youngsters who can't cope, f*** 'em, says I. Get out and cope. Or blame your parents for teaching you that you deserve without contributing.
                      WTF is everyone warbling on about 1993 for?

40 years ago, according to my maths, is 1978.

Dear deity, I remember it well.

All too well.

Mounds of rubbish in the streets, dead bodies unburied in the morgues, half the country on strike.

"Crisis? What Crisis?" from our lords & masters.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/921524.stm

I was lucky.

I was on about £1500/yr when I started fixing tellys for a living in 1974.

And the employer gave day release for the HNC.

And paid the fees (£140/yr).

Not to mention the rampant inflation.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8 May 2018, 14:42.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X