• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Late rooms tech test

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I recently made three 'Tableau' developers knock me up some visualizations on some sample data I had. They had 15 minutes.

Two of them didn't have a clue, the last one made a full dashboard and pointed out where the data was wrong and how they'd fix it.

Contactors lie like cheap watches, so a simple technical test is valid.
    I think that's valid enough. Not a written test though, it's quite easy to filter with simple questions.

I've shown developers some code on a sheet of A4, asked them to tell me what's broken. Broadly discuss technologies. Usually get's the man.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
      I think that's valid enough. Not a written test though, it's quite easy to filter with simple questions.

I've shown developers some code on a sheet of A4, asked them to tell me what's broken. Broadly discuss technologies. Usually get's the man.
      I think that's valid. Getting someone to spot errors in code.

I did some recently for some BA's. Gave them a BRD a previous BA had put together which was tulip and then told them to review it. One guy just went on about governance & that the references had been put in wrong. Another looked at is and went, that's tulip I hope you didn't do that, and said what was missing.

I've hired that BA and the other report writer.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I recently made three 'Tableau' developers knock me up some visualizations on some sample data I had. They had 15 minutes.

Two of them didn't have a clue, the last one made a full dashboard and pointed out where the data was wrong and how they'd fix it.

Contactors lie like cheap watches, so a simple technical test is valid.
        I like to ask people questions that I know they don't know the answer to. If they bulltulip and pretend they do know then they've failed the interview. If they admit they don't know I then ask them how they'd approach the problem. That way I know how they react when under pressure as well.

And people lie for all jobs not just contracts.

PS. And then I ask them about their views on Brexit to make the shortlist shorter
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          I decline gigs that expect web or written tests as part of the interview process.

Would you do that when you hire an accountant or solicitor? No.

These clients need to grow up.
          I don't pay my accountant £400+ a day!

Comment

After a bit of a look around online I realised that they publish their interview katas on github so I have looked over what they expect now.

With regards to the bigger conversation that started about whether or not tech tests should be undertaken - I have no problem with them, as long as they are not stupid - I dont mind knocking up a simple shopping cart while someone watches and asks questions or similar, half an hour at the end of an interview weeds out the liars and also gives the less articulate a chance to demonstrate their skills non verbally.

As for the "Would you make your solicitor or accountant take a test" question... If I had enough knowledge of the subject matter I'd certainly prefer it to taking their word for it that they knew what they were doing!

My preference would be to show examples of past work, but I cant imagine any of my clients wanting me handing out copies of their code to their competitors!

Comment

Working...
            X