• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Serverless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

Does it run on a server? Well it runs on a computer somewhere. But I have no idea what flavour it is. It might be Windows, it could be UNIX, it could even be some special ".NET Only Machine" I am not exposed to the server, I don't have responsibility for maintaining it. It might all be running on a single box in one of Microsoft Azure DC's, but its most likely running in some sort of distributed, highly resilient Farm. The sort of infrastructure that not even a major FTSE company can afford. Again, I don't know, and I don't care.

I simply wrote my 25 lines of C# and deployed it.
    The problem I see here is if my 25 lines of C# code require hardware calls then what runs on x86_64 won't run on ARM64 so I still need to know the hardware I'm running on. Maybe I'll ring up someone who hosts serverless systems and say I have some code I want to run and then try to deploy some APL, I mean it doesn't matter what hardware does it, it just deploys...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      The problem I see here is if my 25 lines of C# code require hardware calls then what runs on x86_64 won't run on ARM64 so I still need to know the hardware I'm running on. Maybe I'll ring up someone who hosts serverless systems and say I have some code I want to run and then try to deploy some APL, I mean it doesn't matter what hardware does it, it just deploys...
      Serverless providers tell you in advance which stack and what version they support. E.g.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/azure-functions/

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/lambda/l...-model-v2.html

https://cloud.google.com/functions/
      You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
        So you're still coding for a specific hardware stack which means you know the hardware so not really serverless...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

So you're still coding for a specific hardware stack which means you know the hardware so not really serverless...
          No, you are coding for a specific runtime.

Comment

This line of argument is stupid; if you're using a specific instruction set, a generic runtime isn't for you; depending on the language you could always toggle syscalls / specific ASM instructions depending on architecture.

That said... I'm not actually a big fan of serverless - from my experience with AWS Lambda you're just tying yourself into another vendor in most cases, by virtue of gluing together your Lambdas / state machines (step functions) using proprietary AWS infra - Kinesis, SQS, DynamoDB events. This stuff will be the Oracle legacy systems of the future.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
              This line of argument is stupid; if you're using a specific instruction set, a generic runtime isn't for you; depending on the language you could always toggle syscalls / specific ASM instructions depending on architecture.

That said... I'm not actually a big fan of serverless - from my experience with AWS Lambda you're just tying yourself into another vendor in most cases, by virtue of gluing together your Lambdas / state machines (step functions) using proprietary AWS infra - Kinesis, SQS, DynamoDB events. This stuff will be the Oracle legacy systems of the future.
              ^This. Current cluster**** I'm working on is implemented using all this proprietary Amazon guff. If Amazon hike the prices or pull the services, the client will be up tulip Creek without a system.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                ^This. Current cluster**** I'm working on is implemented using all this proprietary Amazon guff. If Amazon hike the prices or pull the services, the client will be up tulip Creek without a system.
                And this: And to think, the mongs in charge of making these decisions think everything will be alright. I'm sort of wondering, how everyone is going to prove themselves inside EU GDPR. They don't have a fooking clue where their data is, or who is looking after it.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  I'm sort of wondering, how everyone is going to prove themselves inside EU GDPR. They don't have a fooking clue where their data is, or who is looking after it.
                  That's where Microsoft beat Amazon (and Google). Azure might cost a little more but you know where the data is (roughly anyway by geographic area).
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    That's where Microsoft beat Amazon (and Google). Azure might cost a little more but you know where the data is (roughly anyway by geographic area).
                    Same with Amazon and Google cloud... you know which geo region your data sits in.

Comment

Start learning UWP if you want to be truly serverless

Comment

Working...
                      X