• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Serverless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    ^This. Current cluster**** I'm working on is implemented using all this proprietary Amazon guff. If Amazon hike the prices or pull the services, the client will be up tulip Creek without a system.
    This is where my concern comes in - cloud service providers seem willing to drop services whenever they feel like it. Yes, keeping your ancient server running in a basement isn't much better, but giving up all this control and then being forced into a corner really worries me.

And not only that, but the trend is moving rapidly towards more and more service lock in. At least if your Azure VM gets taken away you can spin up the same stuff on another VM anywhere else. When they take away your Azure serverless service you're going to be left floundering.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      but the trend is moving rapidly towards more and more service lock in.
      It's the new dynamic, a way of forcing customer loyalty by locking out competitors. I'm repeatedly having issues with clients buying hosted services only to find the hosting company assumes proprietorial rights over the data and makes efficient access very difficult for other 3rd parties.

Comment

Working...
      X