• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bye bye to my trusty faithful old SAAB diesel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye bye to my trusty faithful old SAAB diesel

Having now booked my MOT for this Saturday morning, before those wonderful changes come into effect for Diesels on May 20th. I will begin my last 13 months with my faithful old SAAB 9-5 2.2 diesel.
    Current mileage 263,000, and still starts bang on the money, for the 86 mile round trip for my present gig. 12 years as my commuting car, and just one flat tyre as it's only blemish to date. Always been one of the more smokey diesel's, which the latest wim is to get removed from our highways. No way it will pass next time around.
    Saved me a fortune since I gave up on the flashy sporty motor's as my commuting vehicle. Safe as houses, as the old 'Elk' test proved on those Scandinavian roads!
    “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Inneresting,
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

How many sockies can this poster pull out?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm a bit behind the curve here. _What_ wonderful changes come into effect on May 20th?

I'm guessing "wonderful" there is synonymous with "expensive"
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
          Having now booked my MOT for this Saturday morning, before those wonderful changes come into effect for Diesels on May 20th. I will begin my last 13 months with my faithful old SAAB 9-5 2.2 diesel.
          Current mileage 263,000, and still starts bang on the money, for the 86 mile round trip for my present gig. 12 years as my commuting car, and just one flat tyre as it's only blemish to date. Always been one of the more smokey diesel's, which the latest wim is to get removed from our highways. No way it will pass next time around.
          Saved me a fortune since I gave up on the flashy sporty motor's as my commuting vehicle. Safe as houses, as the old 'Elk' test proved on those Scandinavian roads!
          I used to work with a contractor who had only ever driven SAABs from when he passed his driving test. Wouldn't contemplate driving anything else in the same class from any other manufacturer because he never "liked the driver profile" of BMW/Audi/Volvo drivers etc...

I'm sure your SAAB fits in very well with the extreme South West Wiltshire locale
          Last edited by The Castle Cary Fairy; 9 May 2018, 14:45.

Comment

Sockies talking to one another...
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Socky talking to itself ...
              FTFY
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by The Castle Cary Fairy View Post
                I'm sure your SAAB fits in very well with the extreme South West Wiltshire locale
                Hmmmm….inneresting….

Nowhere in his original post did Hugh Jardon mention South West Wiltshire. The location info in his profile states South Wiltshire.

The only other mention of South West Wiltshire was by Hugh Jardon back in October 2017....

Originally posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
                Unusually dark here on the tip of south west Wiltshire. Gust of wind just knocked over the wheelie bin, and some quite bendy trees happening too.
                Your proclaimed innocence of not being a sockie is slowly falling apart....

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                  Hmmmm….inneresting….

Nowhere in his original post did Hugh Jardon mention South West Wiltshire. The location info in his profile states South Wiltshire.

The only other mention of South West Wiltshire was by Hugh Jardon back in October 2017....

No. I saw he was from South Wiltshire & this piqued my interest to read some of his posts.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                    Hmmmm….inneresting….

There have been several mentions of towns in South West Wiltshire, including several on Warminster and Salisbury, such as:

Nightmare Journey (or my Mum on public transport)

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge (banned)
                    .. So there I am with the hoi polloi. To be fair, it wasn't that crowded but, as we were waiting to pull out of Warminster ..
                    and that concludes our case for the prosecution Mi'lud
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X