• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doubt about Notice Period and contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    The notice period refers to your notice period - i.e. after the first week you would need to give them 28 days notice.

No notice period for the client is not unusual - my contract which uses a standard IR35 friendly contract template also has that clause.

That's life unfortunately. Time to move on to the next opportunity.
    Nope...

NOTICE PERIOD (CLAUSE 9.3): Agency shall give the Service Provider 28 days’ notice of termination

It's a bilateral clause.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Indeed. OP, your job is to work for the client while they need you. When they don't you are done.
      There is something named CONTRACT where serious people no matter if you are the client, the service provider or the agency must follow. I've 4 years as contractor and in mostly case my contracts used to be short. So I signed already at least 20 contracts. The usual is not as you say.

So far I am used to work with serious people. In 2 others circumstances where the client decided to cancel the project or something like this...I was paid. I think that there is a lot of people here that have sad histories to tell regarding previous experiences. I am sorry to see so much people 100% passive and conformed with circumstances with this dialog of "life is life".

As I told..I am just trying to understand my contract and I expect to see experienced people here give opinion about the contract that I signed. I don't wanna be rude, but I dismiss sad histories and advices about what life must be. This really will not help me.

Comment

Originally posted by jacapaladium View Post
        There is something named CONTRACT where serious people no matter if you are the client, the service provider or the agency must follow. I've 4 years as contractor and in mostly case my contracts used to be short. So I signed already at least 20 contracts. The usual is not as you say.

So far I am used to work with serious people. In 2 others circumstances where the client decided to cancel the project or something like this...I was paid. I think that there is a lot of people here that have sad histories to tell regarding previous experiences. I am sorry to see so much people 100% passive and conformed with circumstances with this dialog of "life is life".

As I told..I am just trying to understand my contract and I expect to see experienced people here give opinion about the contract that I signed. I don't wanna be rude, but I dismiss sad histories and advices about what life must be. This really will not help me.
        Wow 20 contracts in 4 years that's impressive, and I thought Suity was crap at contracting.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I have seen contracts terminates after a week and usually it is because they realise how tulip the contractor is decide to bail out. Failure to speak or write proper English is also a reason at times.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Wow 20 contracts in 4 years that's impressive, and I thought Suity was crap at contracting.
            20 zero hours contracts, probably

Comment

Originally posted by jacapaladium View Post

Seems like you didn’t get the answer you wanted.

Next time I’m due to be on the bench, budge up.

Comment

I’ve seen the “terminate without reason” in contracts before, and have asked for it to be removed.
                Lesson 1. Read your contract.
                If your contract was to deliver a specific project and said project was canned, then there is no work for you to do. No work, no signed timesheet. No signed timesheet, no pay.
                I’ve probably not signed as many contracts as you, but I’ve only been contracting for around 20 years.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I learnt a valuable lesson many years ago.

I was once told that a contract is valueless until you have a bad disagreement. IE. It just sits in a drawer and nobody reads it, until you f**k up.

And in EVERY case an agency's contract will be able to get rid of you instantly for some reason. When you start looking at your contract because you think you've been hard done to, it's too late, all the decisions have been made, you're out of there.

Unless you can find the agency in material breach of contract then don't waste your time whining.

It may be that the client is wiling to pay for 28 days. Who knows, ask them. Politely. Although I doubt it as it seems they don't like the lookofyourface/soundofyourvoice/cutofyourjib (delete as appropriate).
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    I have seen contracts terminates after a week and usually it is because they realise how tulip the contractor is decide to bail out. Failure to speak or write proper English is also a reason at times.
                    Oh the ironing.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      I’ve seen the “terminate without reason” in contracts before, and have asked for it to be removed.
                      Lesson 1. Read your contract.
                      How does the reason help you?

If it is simply the project is cancelled, budget cut etc, then fine.

If they don't believe you are good enough, that should be fine too, but is more likely to have the contractor moaning whinging with something to cling onto ("I'm not rubbish" etc)

If they want me out, I don't want to stay.
                      Last edited by jmo21; 14 May 2018, 09:17.

Comment

Working...
                      X