Doubt about Notice Period and contract Doubt about Notice Period and contract - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11

    Nervous Newbie

    jacapaladium has no reputation


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    The notice period refers to your notice period - i.e. after the first week you would need to give them 28 days notice.

    No notice period for the client is not unusual - my contract which uses a standard IR35 friendly contract template also has that clause.

    That's life unfortunately. Time to move on to the next opportunity.
    Nope...

    NOTICE PERIOD (CLAUSE 9.3): Agency shall give the Service Provider 28 days’ notice of termination

    It's a bilateral clause.

  2. #12

    Nervous Newbie

    jacapaladium has no reputation


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Indeed. OP, your job is to work for the client while they need you. When they don't you are done.
    There is something named CONTRACT where serious people no matter if you are the client, the service provider or the agency must follow. I've 4 years as contractor and in mostly case my contracts used to be short. So I signed already at least 20 contracts. The usual is not as you say.

    So far I am used to work with serious people. In 2 others circumstances where the client decided to cancel the project or something like this...I was paid. I think that there is a lot of people here that have sad histories to tell regarding previous experiences. I am sorry to see so much people 100% passive and conformed with circumstances with this dialog of "life is life".

    As I told..I am just trying to understand my contract and I expect to see experienced people here give opinion about the contract that I signed. I don't wanna be rude, but I dismiss sad histories and advices about what life must be. This really will not help me.

  3. #13

    My post count is Majestic

    MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    35,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jacapaladium View Post
    There is something named CONTRACT where serious people no matter if you are the client, the service provider or the agency must follow. I've 4 years as contractor and in mostly case my contracts used to be short. So I signed already at least 20 contracts. The usual is not as you say.

    So far I am used to work with serious people. In 2 others circumstances where the client decided to cancel the project or something like this...I was paid. I think that there is a lot of people here that have sad histories to tell regarding previous experiences. I am sorry to see so much people 100% passive and conformed with circumstances with this dialog of "life is life".

    As I told..I am just trying to understand my contract and I expect to see experienced people here give opinion about the contract that I signed. I don't wanna be rude, but I dismiss sad histories and advices about what life must be. This really will not help me.
    Wow 20 contracts in 4 years that's impressive, and I thought Suity was crap at contracting.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

  4. #14

    Super poster

    fullyautomatix 's job has never been outsourced

    fullyautomatix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gaul
    Posts
    4,446

    Default

    I have seen contracts terminates after a week and usually it is because they realise how tulip the contractor is decide to bail out. Failure to speak or write proper English is also a reason at times.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

  5. #15

    Godlike

    BR14 is always on top

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    7,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Wow 20 contracts in 4 years that's impressive, and I thought Suity was crap at contracting.
    20 zero hours contracts, probably
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

  6. #16

    Fingers like lightning

    MrButton is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jacapaladium View Post
    There is something named CONTRACT where serious people no matter if you are the client, the service provider or the agency must follow. I've 4 years as contractor and in mostly case my contracts used to be short. So I signed already at least 20 contracts. The usual is not as you say.

    So far I am used to work with serious people. In 2 others circumstances where the client decided to cancel the project or something like this...I was paid. I think that there is a lot of people here that have sad histories to tell regarding previous experiences. I am sorry to see so much people 100% passive and conformed with circumstances with this dialog of "life is life".

    As I told..I am just trying to understand my contract and I expect to see experienced people here give opinion about the contract that I signed. I don't wanna be rude, but I dismiss sad histories and advices about what life must be. This really will not help me.
    Seems like you didn’t get the answer you wanted.

    Next time I’m due to be on the bench, budge up.

  7. #17

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH is always on top

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17,771

    Default

    I’ve seen the “terminate without reason” in contracts before, and have asked for it to be removed.
    Lesson 1. Read your contract.
    If your contract was to deliver a specific project and said project was canned, then there is no work for you to do. No work, no signed timesheet. No signed timesheet, no pay.
    I’ve probably not signed as many contracts as you, but I’ve only been contracting for around 20 years.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  8. #18

    Super poster

    Lance - scorchio!

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,020

    Default

    I learnt a valuable lesson many years ago.

    I was once told that a contract is valueless until you have a bad disagreement. IE. It just sits in a drawer and nobody reads it, until you f**k up.

    And in EVERY case an agency's contract will be able to get rid of you instantly for some reason. When you start looking at your contract because you think you've been hard done to, it's too late, all the decisions have been made, you're out of there.

    Unless you can find the agency in material breach of contract then don't waste your time whining.

    It may be that the client is wiling to pay for 28 days. Who knows, ask them. Politely. Although I doubt it as it seems they don't like the lookofyourface/soundofyourvoice/cutofyourjib (delete as appropriate).
    See You Next Tuesday

  9. #19

    Should post faster

    TonyF is too good to be a permie

    TonyF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I have seen contracts terminates after a week and usually it is because they realise how tulip the contractor is decide to bail out. Failure to speak or write proper English is also a reason at times.
    Oh the ironing.

  10. #20

    Super poster

    jmo21 is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    I’ve seen the “terminate without reason” in contracts before, and have asked for it to be removed.
    Lesson 1. Read your contract.
    How does the reason help you?

    If it is simply the project is cancelled, budget cut etc, then fine.

    If they don't believe you are good enough, that should be fine too, but is more likely to have the contractor moaning whinging with something to cling onto ("I'm not rubbish" etc)

    If they want me out, I don't want to stay.
    Last edited by jmo21; 14th May 2018 at 09:17.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •