• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hitting the 10 year wall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitting the 10 year wall

So I've been contracting for 10 years with 2.5 at current gig.

Just spunked 10k on 2 holidays and then have been told current client might need to cut my contract short by 3 month and end at end of Sept. Then found out today new head of IT is trying to revoke my access to systems meaning I might have to go at start of August.

Whilst trying to sort it all out I suddenly began to doubt why I was bothering. It seems I have no energy for the good fight any more so am hoping that some of you will give me kind words and some of you will take the piss. Either way I might be able to start the furnace going again.

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post

Just spunked 10k on 2 holidays and then have been told current client might need to cut my contract short by 3 month and end at end of Sept. Then found out today new head of IT is trying to revoke my access to systems meaning I might have to go at start of August.

Whilst trying to sort it all out I suddenly began to doubt why I was bothering. It seems I have no energy for the good fight any more so am hoping that some of you will give me kind words and some of you will take the piss. Either way I might be able to start the furnace going again.
    Is it the amount of time you've been doing it or has the industry changed for the worst?

Personally I think it's the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by The Castle Cary Fairy View Post
      Is it the amount of time you've been doing it or has the industry changed for the worst?

Personally I think it's the latter.
      Yeah I 'd say so - roles at bigger places as well. An age things as well - coming up to 50 this year so don't know If I've actually go the energy any more. I seemed to be happier when I was on half of what I earn now and was working for start ups. It's a bit like a marathon runner hitting the wall after 15 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post

good luck whatever happens

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
          Mind the indians! They'll strap you down and shaft you. In more ways than one. Like they did me. Been walking funny ever since. Boo hoo! Woe is me!
          FTFY
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Contracting can not be permanent. You gotta have an exit strategy.

1. Make enough to generate a grand a month in interest, then go and live like a king in Sri Lanka. For a grand a month you can have a cook, butler, bodyguard, harem, the works. Life really is too short, so do it.

2. Buy the boat you've been eyeing up. Live on it. Fish. Cook and eat the fish. Slow the pace of life right down. Rediscover the pleasure of cannabis. Write that novel you've always had inside you. Drink excessively.

3. Simplify and downsize. Semi-retire: take a part-time job close to home. Friends - what're they? Reconnect and find out.

4. Keep bouncing from one contract to another, making money that you don't have the time to enjoy because i) either you're on a contract or ii) you're not on contract and are therefore not sure where your next pound is coming from so need to be parsimonious.

My exit strategy is akin to a pine box, 6ft tall, 2ft wide and 1ft deep.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
              Contracting can not be permanent. You gotta have an exit strategy.

1. Make enough to generate a grand a month in interest, then go and live like a king in Sri Lanka. For a grand a month you can have a cook, butler, bodyguard, harem, the works. Life really is too short, so do it.

2. Buy the boat you've been eyeing up. Live on it. Fish. Cook and eat the fish. Slow the pace of life right down. Rediscover the pleasure of cannabis. Write that novel you've always had inside you. Drink excessively.

3. Simplify and downsize. Semi-retire: take a part-time job close to home. Friends - what're they? Reconnect and find out.

4. Keep bouncing from one contract to another, making money that you don't have the time to enjoy because i) either you're on a contract or ii) you're not on contract and are therefore not sure where your next pound is coming from so need to be parsimonious.

My exit strategy is akin to a pine box, 6ft tall, 2ft wide and 1ft deep.
              Love 1 to 3.

4 might in fact be the next 10 years.

Great post though - it certainly made me smile.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                unfunny AssGuru fantasy
                FTFY
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

50 is a bit of a shocker, you do go through the why bother phase.

change the scenery and try somewhere different but first enjoy the summer off, if the IT tuliphead is making things difficult and you don't need the money then roll with it and look forward to walking. Leave your contact details for when he gets the sack.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

After all those years, sounds like you're still worried about money. Should have bought £10k worth of Bitcoin.

1) Start looking for a new gig now. Don't wait.

2) Enjoy the holiday.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X