• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you ever been arrested?, background screening question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
    I don't know about squirrels, but I heard of a guy who lost his gerbil and asked the police for a full cavity search.
    That was NAT. They arrested him for wasting police time, after he admitted he made up the gerbil story.

Comment

Originally posted by Man Utd View Post
      No and No.

Got bound over for a year.
      Some folks round here will pay extra for that...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        If they do care, they likely have the means to to get your record, ROA or not
        In my book that would be breaking the law. watch this space.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
          The things IBs hate most are lieing, bankruptcy and arrests for financial crime.

I know, they hate the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by IPMAN View Post
            In respect to a prospective IT Contract with an investment bank who are using an external background screening partner, are they entitled to ask the question i.e. Have you ever been arrested?

thanks
            Was the question verbal or in writing?
            If in writing there will *usually* be a section referring to the ROA 1974.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              That was NAT. They arrested him for wasting police time, after he admitted he made up the gerbil story.
              Unlike RH who actually abused a hamster: -

https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...ml#post1488728

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                Was the question verbal or in writing?
                If in writing there will *usually* be a section referring to the ROA 1974.
                In writing and yes there was reference to ROA 1974 right at the top

Comment

Originally posted by IPMAN View Post
                  In writing and yes there was reference to ROA 1974 right at the top
                  What did the questionnaire say in regards to "ROA 1974"?

Did it say that the role was exempt from the ROA 1974?

Applying for work

Once your convictions are spent, the Act gives you the right not to disclose them when applying for jobs, unless the role is exempt from the Act. Most employers with jobs covered by the Act will only ask for ‘unspent’ convictions. If they ask about all convictions, you should check what level of disclosure they’re entitled to, and if it’s only a basic DBS disclosure, then this may be an ineligible check and you can legally withhold any spent convictions.
                  Last edited by Zigenare; 22 May 2018, 12:30.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                  X