• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Growing Reluctance to Attend Face to Face Interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Man Utd View Post
    I've also been asked to attend a "working interview" in which I spend the day at one of the agent's clients and bill them my normal day rate at the end of it.
    Yep, cheap consultancy/see how good you are at hitting the ground running. If you can get paid for the day in Brum, it could be worth attending.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Just pray that the day when "Growing Reluctance to Attend Face to Face Interviews" results in "Growing inability to find work" never comes.

A lot of folks out there can't even get an interview.

Comment

It is a bit odd not to put some time aside to meet potential clients and win new business.

Comment

If one has to take a day off for the sole purpose of attending an interview, can one claim the lost revenue as a legitimate expense, in addition to any travel and subsistence expenses? I don't see why not
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If the gig is not too close to home I would always try and get a preliminary phone interview, agents are rubbish and this can prevent poor requirements matching thus saving client and contractor time and money.

I think it's reasonable to expect the client to meet you in person and press palms - it's the only way to get the feel of someone. Mind you, the current gig was phone only and it's one of my best gigs now.

Written tests are what I object to, I've conducted a lot of interviews with contractors myself. Verbal technical questions are sufficient to ascertain the validity of assertions on the CV. If I've just driven a long way it's the last thing I need.

I think you need to appreciate what it's like for the client. A bad contractor leaves a nasty smell on the project and makes the other contractors look bad.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              If one has to take a day off for the sole purpose of attending an interview, can one claim the lost revenue as a legitimate expense, in addition to any travel and subsistence expenses? I don't see why not
              I've always claimed expenses for marketing/business opportunities that prevent me from working for a client.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Use the right of substitution to send along a benched contractor based in brum. If they do well enough that you get the gig they get a cut of your first invoice. If they do well enough they steal the gig you get a cut of all their invoices.

Just make sure they are not on the squirrel botherers register or unable to attend due to waiting in for a sofa delivery.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

According to NP 10% of communication is the words you use. 35% your tone of voice. 55% is body language. And 10% in mathematical ability.

So it's no surprise people want to meet you in person.

The stats above might explain why so many posters come across as cretins.

Actually, hang on. Most CUK posters are cretins.

Comment

I like starting with a phone interview just to get the basics out the way. Are they intelligible on the phone, do they make sense etc.

It takes 10 - 30 minutes each side and if doing the interviewing you can get rid of the duds quickly and vice versa. You can do it after hours or in their lunch hour so there is no real inconvenience.

If that goes well then a face to face can be arrange which as you say can waste 2 hours to half a day for both sides.

Seems stupid to insist on a face to face if on the phone you don't like them.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      It's a cost of doing business, why shouldn't you?
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X