• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting with mental illness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    We've established that you're a cretin, but that doesn't narrow it down that much.
    Is that really the best you can do?

***** me, it'll take me days to recover from that one!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Is that really the best you can do?

***** me, it'll take me days to recover from that one!
      Why would I do my best? It was sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Why would I do my best? It was sufficient.
        Get someone to read this to you, it may explain what's happening to you.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Get someone to read this to you, it may explain what's happening to you.
          Can't be bothered to click on a link supplied by a cretin. Sorry.

Comment

Nope. I'm not even "Henry the mild mannered janitor".
            Old scrotum, the wrinkled retainer??

Comment

Nope. I'm not even "Henry the mild mannered janitor".
              Neither was Hong Kong Phooey, he was called Penry (shortened form of Penrod).
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by DaveMK View Post
                Hi guys,

First-time poster, my girlfriend is contracted to a government department. She suffers from anxiety and occasional depression and has to take anti-dep meds daily.

These meds make her real tired at times and she occasionally sleeps through alarms and misses morning meetings.

I've said she should explain her medical situation to her bosses so they can understand her situation and not think she's just lazy or not bothered.

But because she's a contractor she's nervous that they'd just sack her and get someone else in.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Would love to get some thoughts on common practice and how well or otherwise businesses treat contractors with mental illness like this...

Thanks!
                Isnt the bigger problem contractors having to work for mentally ill line managers, as problematic projects disproportionately have management with multiple problems of their own.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                  Isnt the bigger problem contractors having to work for mentally ill line managers, as problematic projects disproportionately have management with multiple problems of their own.
                  It is more of a personality disorder thing.

Comment

You Have to be crazy to be a contractor, don't you?

Comment

If you can manage to continue with your contract and turn up it may help in the long term. I've been through a period of having panic, anxiety and depression but found it got worse if I started avoiding situations e.g contact with people. I think if I had WFH for too long i'd have ended up house bound along with bouts of cabin fever. When working on a technical problems the focus was a kind of relief because it distracted me from the issues so I ended up working harder

So yes it was pretty great. One of the worst parts is the general lack of empathy as people don't realise how bad it is unless they've experienced it themselves. Plus you may look fine on the outside etc

Apart from mental focus, exercise makes a huge difference (sleep and dopamine boost) plus avoid booze and caffeine.

Comment

Working...
                      X