• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Welcome to our new arrivals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    will no one think of the strawberries?

This was on click, still available on iplayer

Hands free hectare - Home

As was the Dutch team creating automation solutions to replace manual labour in farming as it is in short supply and wages are going up, maybe the B word is affecting them?
    Saw a related BBC article on robots picking strawberries this morning.

The strawberry-picking robots doing a job humans won't - BBC News

Didn't think getting casual labour was a problem, though maybe the wages are too small now as mentioned due to GBP/EURO exchange rate. As for them not being able to find enough natives to pick the fields, maybe the government should be getting the workshy benefit lifestylers to earn a living. Stop making it pay better to not work.

Was wondering if spending the summer picking fruit may be an interesting break from IT. Particularly if it's picking apples for a cider farm where you get a staff discount, surrounded by lovely east european women.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

It's all due to B-word, poor souls where scared of losing on the gravy train and flocked here before we flood the tunnel.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        It's all due to B-word, poor souls where scared of losing on the gravy train and flocked here before we flood the tunnel.
        Those of us plugged into the financial, pharma and IT sectors in London know there is already a brain drain going in the other direction - not major for now, but significant.
        It's difficult to say if the new arrivals will affect the average IQ in the UK however: the indigenous underclass in the UK is particularly thick.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Those of us plugged into the financial, pharma and IT sectors in London know there is already a brain drain going in the other direction - not major for now, but significant.
          I see the symptoms of your dunning-kruger affliction show no sign of abating then.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Saw a related BBC article on robots picking strawberries this morning.

The strawberry-picking robots doing a job humans won't - BBC News

Didn't think getting casual labour was a problem, though maybe the wages are too small now as mentioned due to GBP/EURO exchange rate. As for them not being able to find enough natives to pick the fields, maybe the government should be getting the workshy benefit lifestylers to earn a living. Stop making it pay better to not work.

Was wondering if spending the summer picking fruit may be an interesting break from IT. Particularly if it's picking apples for a cider farm where you get a staff discount, surrounded by lovely east european women.
            nope the wages are still 3-7 times those at home, however due to the success of New Lie's search parties there aren't enough houses for them to live in. We could pave over Surrey & build affordable housing but people like Ass wouldn't like it as they are the Nimby type.

Now if they want the people on Benefits to pick fruit they need to make it a smooth transition in & out of temporary work. If they go fruit picking they have to wait 3-6 months to get back onto benefits.

Combine that with low wages & high costs and its difficult to transition from benefits that currently allow you to live comfortably.

Whilst I'm keen to get those on benefits to work I have to sympathise with those who are caught in the trap.

I'm all for Workfare.

Unfortunately the quality of Eastern European women seems to have gone down, the first flood were pretty good. Though when I'm out in town I do expect well turned out & slim girls to be foreign , the heffers in too small spandex all seem to have an English accent. Men in poor quality sportswear tend to be eastern European if drinking beer or talking Jamaican patois in an English accent and vaping despite being white as snow.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Romanian becomes second most common non-UK nationality - BBC News

Thank god these highly skilled, highly educated, highly motivated workers are arriving on mass to boost our productivity and GDP per capita.

Somebody has to do these jobs while the Brits are busy building your own satellite systems, setting up pharma and nuclear fuel agencies, creating new aircraft safety check systems, etc.

All that cash isn’t going to spend itself....

Comment

Working...
              X