• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Standard Hours - Does it include an hour for lunch?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    When do you take a tea break then?
    TEA break? When I can...

…Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
      Most of the time, my contract is based on day rate with no reference to the number of hours and I often get confused with the number of working/contracted/standard hours. Therefore I do 8 + 1 hour as a standard.

Just curious to know how other contractors approach it. Do you do 7+1 or 8+1?
      Not sure I follow what you're asking. Are you asking how many hours a day should you work and get paid for in a standard day? Would you expect to have to pay your tradesman for his lunch break?

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
        Not sure I follow what you're asking. Are you asking how many hours a day should you work and get paid for in a standard day? Would you expect to have to pay your tradesman for his lunch break?
        What is it with this 'tradesman/ plumber' stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
          It looks like the OP is just curious to know how other contractors approach it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            It looks like the OP is just curious to know how other contractors approach it.
            I approach lunch with the right tools for the job... A bottle opener.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              I approach lunch with the right tools for the job... A bottle opener.
              Can't afford champagne?

Comment

Contractor's timetable:

8:15-9:30 - Coffee, toasted bagel and overnight checks (CUK, BBC Transfer Gossip column, etc.)
                9:30-9:35 - Stand up meeting
                9:35-9:45 - Toilet
                9:45-10:00 - meeting prep
                10:00-11:00 - meeting
                11:00-12:00 - CUK
                12:00-13:00(ish) - lunch
                14:00-15:30 - work
                15:30-16:30 - CUK
                16:35 - pint o'clock
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Can't afford champagne?

How do you open yours?

Comment

OP - Do same or slightly more than permies and most clients are happy. 7.5/8 hours work is probably standard most places. I just do hours and make sure they sort of add up at the end of the week, so come in late, have long lunches etc when I want (as long as I attend meetings etc).

One thing - don't ask the agency. They'll make up some crap to get you to stay longer. Look at it from their point of view. Contractor on day rate works 10 hours a day for no extra, clients thinks wow the people I get from this agency are good I'll go to them again. Agent counts his commission, contractor has no life. Always remember agency cares little for your wellbeing unless it affects his commission.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I have a "swings and roundabouts" thought process usually. Some days I have a 12-14 hour day, other days it's a lot quieter and I can do what I need to in 6 hours - I still charge the same rate for a days work.

I'd say a normal day would be 7 + 1.

Comment

Working...
                      X