• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Standard Hours - Does it include an hour for lunch?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

How do you open yours?
    With my teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      OP - Do same or slightly more than permies and most clients are happy. 7.5/8 hours work is probably standard most places. I just do hours and make sure they sort of add up at the end of the week, so come in late, have long lunches etc when I want (as long as I attend meetings etc).

One thing - don't ask the agency. They'll make up some crap to get you to stay longer. Look at it from their point of view. Contractor on day rate works 10 hours a day for no extra, clients thinks wow the people I get from this agency are good I'll go to them again. Agent counts his commission, contractor has no life. Always remember agency cares little for your wellbeing unless it affects his commission.
      If they aren't paying you NMW, for additional hours, you need to stand up for yourself. Or doesn't the Social know you're working?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        With my teeth.
        Does that involve running upstairs, getting them out of the glass, holding them in your hand, then pushing to top off?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Does that involve running upstairs, getting them out of the glass, holding them in your hand, then pushing to top off?
          Running? I send your missus up.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
            Most of the time, my contract is based on day rate with no reference to the number of hours and I often get confused with the number of working/contracted/standard hours. Therefore I do 8 + 1 hour as a standard.

Just curious to know how other contractors approach it. Do you do 7+1 or 8+1?
            Arrive 5 minutes before permies and leave 5 minutes after they are gone
            Any less and there will be lot of gossiping and bitching.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
              WGAS. Do an excellent job of everything you do and it will be fine.

Comment

Arrive an hour after the permies. Let them know that the flight was full/delayed, but the lounge wasn’t too busy.
                Leave at 3pm, even if that means you spend 4 hours in the lounge. Let them know that you’ll probably get home by 9pm (actually 7) or by 11pm if you’re home after 8.

Only go to a client site when you need to, such as when you are running low on duty free gin, or Marriott have a triple points deal on.

Comment

Balls to that, if I wanted to do that I'd be a permie.

I mean, there's some irony in me posting this at work at 18:30 but that's the nature of projects. But seriously, other than that I'm 7.5hrs on the dot - if they're jealous, tough.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Balls to that, if I wanted to do that I'd be a permie.

I mean, there's some irony in me posting this at work at 18:30 but that's the nature of projects. But seriously, other than that I'm 7.5hrs on the dot - if they're jealous, tough.
                    My senior client contact phoned me very apologetically at 17:15 today, but I was extremely gracious about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      My senior client contact phoned me very apologetically at 17:15 today, but I was extremely gracious about it.
                      Well, I had run out of toilet roll and the dingleberry just wasn’t shifting.

Comment

Working...
                      X