• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Standard Hours - Does it include an hour for lunch?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Well, I had run out of toilet roll and the dingleberry just wasn’t shifting.
    I'll pop my teeth through your letter box in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      I'll pop my teeth through your letter box in the morning.
      Is that a euphemism?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Firstly. Is the time sheet in hours or days. I have worked on projects where 7.5 hours were a standard day and others where you simply booked days.
        During the first couple of weeks during the boring on bording more than 8 hours is difficult and during the go live phase 10 hours is not enough. At the end of the project 6 hours looking busy is difficult. Note I am not a long term contractor wearing a Permie mask.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Is that a euphemism?
          no, - he really IS going to pop his teeth through your letterbox tomorrow!
          be afraid! - be Very afraid

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
            7.5 + 0.5 usually
            Recently a contract came to me to support an urgent Client work in Dublin. It’s just 1 day per week travelling to Dublin from London. To be fully adding the value, I am thinking taking earliest possible flight and coming back to moderate late evening flight. Do we usually consider commuting in our own time or bill the Client? I had been just talking about a day rate and when I speak to the Partner (she is going on maternity and I need to cover for her and another Director who is leaving, or may already left), I will ask. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by TechRiskPartners View Post
              Recently a contract came to me to support an urgent Client work in Dublin. It’s just 1 day per week travelling to Dublin from London. To be fully adding the value, I am thinking taking earliest possible flight and coming back to moderate late evening flight. Do we usually consider commuting in our own time or bill the Client? I had been just talking about a day rate and when I speak to the Partner (she is going on maternity and I need to cover for her and another Director who is leaving, or may already left), I will ask. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The clue to answer is in your question... Unless you've negotiated it in.
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 June 2019, 12:00.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I stay in the office either until the tasks I have planned for the day are done, or enough hours to make the person signing my timesheets happy. Whichever is higher, in most cases it's about 7.5+0.5h

Edit: made it more coherent
                Last edited by sal; 18 June 2019, 13:53.

Comment

I charge a day rate and that doesn't stipulate hours, just 'professional working day'.

I tend to turn up about 7.45 - 8am, tend to leave about 4 - 4.30pm. Sometimes, if I get up a bit earlier or have a magic public transport experience, I will start earlier. Sometimes, I will finish later. I know I can get everything I need done in the hours I keep.

Lunch is usually soup or a sandwich grabbed from the canteen and eaten al desko.

If WFH then I dip in and out of work so I don't keep such a regular time so may start late, do the laundry, pop to the shops, etc and then finish late. As long as I get what I've planned for that day done then I am comfortable charging for the day.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    or have a magic public transport experience
                    Something like this would definitely make the commute a bit more tolerable....

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                      Something like this would definitely make the commute a bit more tolerable....
                      Only if you like having wine spilled all over you, with the way most bus/tube drivers are mashing the accelerator/brakes

Comment

Working...
                      X